Alleghany High School (North Carolina)
|Alleghany High School|
|404 Trojan Avenue,
Sparta, NC 28675
Sparta, North Carolina, United States
|School district||Alleghany County Schools|
|NCES School ID||370012000037|
|Teaching staff||35.50 (FTE)|
|Color(s)||Green and vegas gold|
|Athletics conference||Mountain Valley|
For the 2010–2011 school year, Alleghany High School had a total population of 442 students and 35.50 teachers on a (FTE) basis. The student population had a gender ratio of 49.5% male to 50.5% female. The demographic group makeup of the student population was: White, 85.01%; Hispanic, 11.31%; Black, 1.36%; Asian/Pacific Islander, 0.23%; and American Indian, 0.23% (two or more races, 1.81%). For the same school year, 54.07% of the students received free or reduced-cost lunches.
The Alleghany High mascot is the Trojans, wearing the school colors of green and vegas gold. They compete in several sports throughout the school year: baseball, basketball, football, golf, tennis, volleyball, and wrestling.
Alleghany has a rich wrestling tradition that has resulted in numerous state, regional, and conference championships.
State champions: 1989, 1997(2), 1998, 1999, 2002, 2006, 2007, 2008
Honors and awards
The school is ranked at a Bronze Level on the U.S. News & World Report's Best Schools report. It is ranked in the top 20 in North Carolina in that report. Also, Alleghany High was recognized as a School of Distinction in by North Carolina Department of Public Instruction for the 2009–2010 school year.
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Alleghany High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved December 4, 2012.
- "NCHSAA CONFERENCES 2011–12" (PDF). NCHSAA website. NCHSAA. Retrieved December 4, 2012.
- "Alleghany High School". MaxPreps. Retrieved December 3, 2012.
- "Athletics". Alleghany High School. Retrieved December 4, 2012.
- "Alleghany High School". Best High Schools. US News & World Report. Retrieved December 4, 2012.
- "Best High Schools in North Carolina". US News & World Report. Retrieved December 4, 2012.
- "Alleghany High School". NC School Report Cards. North Carolina Department of Public Instruction. Retrieved December 4, 2012.
|This North Carolina school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|