Allegheny County Police Department
|This article does not cite any sources. (July 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Allegheny County Police Department|
Patch of the Allegheny County Police Department
Seal of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania
Flag of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania.svg
|Motto||"To Serve With Honor"|
|Legal personality||Governmental: Government agency|
|Operations jurisdiction*||County of Allegheny in the state of Pennsylvania, U.S.|
|Map of Allegheny County Police Department's jurisdiction.|
|Size||745 square miles (1,930 km2)|
|Agency executive||Coleman McDonough, Superintendent|
|Allegheny County Police website|
|* Divisional agency: Division of the country, over which the agency has usual operational jurisdiction.|
The Allegheny County Police Department is a Pennsylvanian policing agency with county-wide authority, provides law enforcement on County property. The ACPD patrols the Pittsburgh International Airport, the Allegheny County Airport, and county-owned properties and parks, including North Park and South Park. The County Police provides assistance to local police from the 130 municipalities and other law enforcement in Allegheny County, with a Detective Division including General Investigations, Homicide and Narcotics units. The Allegheny County Police Department was established in 1932 by an act of the Allegheny County Board of Commissioners and the Pennsylvania Legislature. It investigates all criminal activity which occurs on county-owned property, and provides assistance to local police departments and criminal justice agencies, usually in the form of manpower or specialized services. It is staffed by more than 239 sworn officers and 50 civilians.
- (a) amended Oct. 20, 1967, P.L.472, No.224)
- (b) Such police officers shall have jurisdiction anywhere within the county by which employed, and shall have and possess all the following powers:
- (1) To make arrests, without warrant, for all violations of the law which they may witness, and to serve and execute warrants issued by the proper authorities. In cases of offenses for violation of any of the provisions of the Vehicle Code, the power to make arrests without warrant shall be limited to cases where the offense is designated a felony or a misdemeanor, and cases causing or contributing to an accident resulting in injury or death to any person.
- (2) The powers and prerogatives conferred by law upon members of the police force of cities of the first class.
- (3) The powers and prerogatives conferred by law upon constables of the Commonwealth.
- (4) To serve subpoenas issued for any examination, investigation or trial had pursuant to any law of the Commonwealth.
Specialized services provided
- Audio and Video Forensic Unit
- Explosive Ordnance Disposal Team
- Explosive Ordnance Disposal K-9
- Detention Services
- Narcotic Detection K-9
- Special Weapons and Tactics Team (SWAT)
- Airport Drug Interdiction Team
- Mounted Patrol
- Motorcycle Detail
- Community Awareness Program
- Police Training Academy
- Evidence Processing Unit
- Executive Protection / Cold Case Squad
- Arson Squad
- Pittsburgh Police
- Allegheny County Sheriff
- List of law enforcement agencies in Pennsylvania
- County police