Allegro (auction website)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Type of business||Private company|
Type of site
|Founded||Poznań, Poland (1999)|
|Area served||Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, Turkey, Russia, Belarus, Ukraine, Moldova, Kazakhstan, Bosnia & Herzegovina|
|Owner||Cinven, Permira, Mid Europa Partners|
|Key people||Arjan Bakker, CEO
Grzegorz Brochocki, COO
|Industry||Auctions, Electronic commerce|
|Products||Online auction hosting, Online payment systems, Price comparison service, Online classified adverts|
|Alexa rank||251 (January 2017[update])|
|Registration||required to buy and sell. limited buying (only "buy it now", not auctions) is possible without registration.|
It is managed by Grupa Allegro (Allegro Group) which was formed in 1999 and subsequently purchased by online auction site QXL Ricardo plc in March 2000. QXL Ricardo plc changed its name to Tradus plc in 2007, and was acquired by Naspers in 2008. In October 2016 Naspers sold the Allegro Group to an alliance of investor funds: Cinven, Permira and Mid Europa Partners
In 2011, Allegro claimed to have over 11 million users.
- Poland - Auctions: Allegro.pl and eMAG.pl; Classifieds: OLX.pl, otodom.pl, otomoto.pl; Price Comparison: ceneo.pl
- Czech Republic - Aukro.cz
- Slovakia - Aukro.sk
- Hungary - Vatera.hu and eMag.hu (Other Allegro sites in Hungary: TeszVesz.hu, FashionDays.hu, Arukereso.hu, Lealkudtuk.hu)
- Russia - TIU.ru and InSales.ru (Other: Avito.ru)
- Ukraine - Bigl.ua (former Aukro.ua), Prom.ua (Other sites: OLX.ua, RIA.ua, Modnakasta.ua)
- Bulgaria - eMAG.bg (Other sites: OLX.bg, FashionDays.bg, pazaruvaj.com)
- Belarus - DEAL.by (Other: OLX.by)
- Romania - eMAG.ro (Other Allegro sites in Romania: OLX.ro, Storia.ro, FashionDays.ro, Autovit.ro, compari.ro)
- Moldova - PROM.md
- Kazakhstan - SATU.kz (Other site: OLX.kz)
- Serbia - Allegro.rs
- Bosnia - (Other than auction site) OLX.ba
- Turkey - Markafoni.com (Other sites: Bilio.com and Ticiz.com).
Controversies about commenting system
According to Allegro regulations article 11.6 it is not necessary for a comment to be truthful, which may lead to their abuse. In 2008, a court in Łomża, Poland, ordered a buyer to apologise for submitting an untruthful comment about a seller.
In order to avoid receiving negative comments, users either don’t leave any comments or leave falsely positive comments to counterparties. This makes the comments an unreliable source of information about the credibility of members.
2016 Christmas ad
Allegro's 3 minute 2016 Christmas advertisement featured an elderly Polish man teaching himself English in order to communicate with the granddaughter he is about to meet for the first time when he visits his son in London for Christmas. It was highly praised on social media and has been viewed over 13 million times on YouTube.
- "Allegro.pl Traffic, Demographics and Competitors". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2017-01-14.
- "Regulamin - Allegro - Allegro.pl - Więcej niż aukcje. Najlepsze oferty na największej platformie handlowej.". allegro.pl. Retrieved 2016-09-23.
- "Internauta musiał przeprosić za komentarz na Allegro" (in Polish). Retrieved 2016-09-23.
- "Jak ocenić sprzedaż i wystawić komentarz po zakończeniu transakcji? - FAQ Allegro". faq.allegro.pl. Retrieved 2016-09-23.
- BBC, The Polish Christmas advert with seven million views, 8 December 2016
- video on youtube
|This Polish corporation or company article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|