|Type of business||Private company|
Type of site
|Founded||Poznań, Poland (1999)|
|Owner||Cinven, Permira, Mid Europa Partners|
|Key people||Francois Nuyts CEO|
|Industry||Electronic commerce, Auctions|
|Products||Online auction hosting, Online payment systems, Price comparison service, Online classified adverts|
|Registration||required to buy and sell. limited buying (only "buy it now", not auctions) is possible without registration.|
It is managed by Allegro.pl Sp. z o.o. (former: Allegro Group Sp.z o.o. ) which was formed in 1999 and subsequently purchased by online auction site QXL Ricardo plc in March 2000. QXL Ricardo plc changed its name to Tradus plc in 2007, and was acquired by Naspers in 2008. In October 2016, Naspers sold the Allegro Group to an alliance of investor funds: Cinven, Permira and Mid Europa Partners.
According to company data, 70 million items are sold through the Allegro platform monthly.
2016 Christmas ad
Allegro's 3 minute 2016 Christmas advertisement featured an elderly Polish man teaching himself English in order to communicate with the granddaughter he is about to meet for the first time when he visits his son in London for Christmas. It was highly praised on social media and has been viewed over 15 million times on YouTube.
Since 2018 Allegro has cooperated with the Polish anti-racist organization the “Never Again” Association to remove auctions of newly manufactured items with racist, fascist and antisemitic content. In 2018-2019 more than 3500 items with fascist and antisemitic content were removed through this cooperation. These included numerous copies of contemporary editions of Hitler's “Mein Kampf” without critical commentary as well as books by David Irving, Leon Degrelle and Hennecke Kardel. The items offered for sale reported by “Never Again” included also newly made Third Reich flags and SS uniforms, signet rings and badges with Nazi swastikas, contemporary imitations of Nazi military decorations, records with Nazi music, lighters with an image of Hitler, or pendants with Mussolini.
- "Francois Nuyts nowym prezesem Allegro, odchodzi Przemysław Budkowski". www.wirtualnemedia.pl.
- "Investegate |QXL Ricardo PLC Announcements | QXL Ricardo PLC: Notice of EGM". www.investegate.co.uk.
- "Allegro.pl Traffic, Demographics and Competitors". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2017-01-14.
- "11,5 mln użytkowników Allegro". August 26, 2011.
- "YouTube, Google i Ceneo mocno w górę, Instagram i Snapchat w dół (Gemius/PBI z października)" (in Polish). Retrieved 2017-12-04.
- "Serwis Allegro to nasz sposób na Wasze szybkie i wygodne zakupy przez Internet - magazyn.allegro.pl". magazyn.allegro.pl (in Polish). Retrieved 2017-12-04.
- BBC, The Polish Christmas advert with seven million views, 8 December 2016
- "video on youtube".
- "A VICTORY AGAINST ONLINE PEDDLERS OF HATRED". "NEVER AGAIN" ASSOCIATION.
- "Polish E-Commerce Company Removes Nazi Paraphernalia from Website In Face of Backlash". Jewish Journal. June 29, 2018.
- Pikulicka-Wilczewska, Agnieszka. "Nazi-inspired jewellery, trinkets wiped from auction site". www.aljazeera.com.