Allen's Grove, Wisconsin
|Allen's Grove, Wisconsin|
|Elevation||932 ft (284 m)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1560780|
Allen's Grove is an unincorporated community in Walworth County, Wisconsin, United States. It is located approximately two miles west of Darien, Wisconsin, in the Towns of Darien and Sharon, Wisconsin, at Coordinates: .
Philip Allen, a Revolutionary War veteran, and his children: Philip Jr., Harvey, Sidney, Pliny, Asa Keyes, and Persis, came from New York in May, 1845, to settle in Allen Grove. Sixty-five Allens traveled by canal boat, steamboat, and overland from Kenosha bringing with them material to build four houses, carpenters to build them, a minister, Bibles and hymnals. The Allens organized the Congregational church here in 1845. They established a preparatory school for Beloit College in 1856. Philip Junior became the first postmaster in 1846. Philip Allen Sr. is buried in Mt. Philip Cemetery, west of here.
- "Allen's Grove, Wisconsin". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.
- "Dictionary of Wisconsin History:Allen's Grove", Retrieved June 5, 2007
- Wisconsin Hometown Locator
- Wisconsin Department of Transportation-Walworth County, Wisconsin
- McBride, Sarah Davis. History Just Ahead (Madison:WHS, 1999)
|This article about a location in Walworth County, Wisconsin is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|