This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2014)
Allen Edward Buchanan
|Born||1948 (age 72–73)|
|Occupation||Philosopher, Ethicist, Bioethicist, Professor|
Allen Edward Buchanan is Professor of philosophy at the University of Arizona and also professor of the Philosophy of International Law at the Dickson Poon School of Law at King's College, London. He received his PhD from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in 1975. He taught at the University of Wisconsin–Madison, the University of Minnesota, and the Duke University. He has written six books covering such topics as Marx, applied ethics (especially bio-medical ethics), social justice, and international justice, including the foundations of international law.
Buchanan served as staff philosopher for the President's Commission on Medical Ethics in 1983. From 1996 to 2000 he served on the Advisory Council for the National Human Genome Research Institute. He is a fellow of the Hastings Center, an independent bioethics research institution.
- Better Than Human (Oxford University Press, 2011)
- Beyond Humanity (Oxford University Press, 2011)
- Buchanan, Allen (2003) Justice, Legitimacy, and Self-Determination: Moral Foundations for International Law
- Macedo, Stephen; Buchanan, Allen E. (2003) Secession and Self-Determination (336 pages)
- Buchanan, Allen; Margaret Moore (2003) States, Nations, and Borders: The Ethics of Making Boundaries (376 pages)
- Buchanan, Allen; Brock, Dan W.; Daniels, Norman; Wikler, Daniel (2000) From Chance to Choice: Genetics and Justice. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 0-521-66977-4.
- Buchanan, Allen (1999) The Quebec Secession Issue: Democracy, Minority Rights, and the Rule of Law, Privy Council Office, Canada.
- Spece, Roy G.; Shimm, David S.; Buchanan, Allen E. (1996) Conflicts of Interest in Clinical Practice and Research (472 pages)
- Buchanan, Allen (1995) Democratization, Secession and the Rule of International Law
- Buchanan, Allen (1991) Secession: The Morality of Political Divorce From Fort Sumter to Lithuania and Quebec
- Buchanan, Allen (1991) Secession: The Morality of Political Divorce from Fort Sumter to Lithuania (174 pages)
- Buchanan, Allen; Brock, Dan W. (1990) Deciding for Others: The Ethics of Surrogate Decision Making (440 pages)
- Buchanan, Allen; Brock, Dan W. (1989) Deciding For Others: The Ethics of Surrogate Decision Making
- Buchanan, Allen (1985) Ethics, Efficiency, and the Market
- Buchanan, Allen (1982) Marx and Justice: The Radical Critique of Liberalism
- Buchanan, Allen (1979) Deriving Welfare Rights from Libertarian Rights (16 pages)
Note that Buchanan has co-authored a number of books (and also refereed several journal articles) with Daniel Brock of Harvard Medical School's Division of Medical Ethics in the Department of Global Health and Social Medicine and Harvard University's Program in Ethics and Health.
Buchanan, Allen, Keohane, Robert O. "The Preventive Use of Force: A Cosmopolitan Institutional Proposal." Ethics and International Affairs, 18(1), 1-22, 22 p. 2004.
- Daniel W. Brock, Emeritus of Harvard Medical School's Center for Bioethics, formerly the Division of Medical Ethics (which he ran), and Harvard's Program in Ethics and Health (PEH)
- Norman Daniels of HSPH
- Daniel Wikler of HSPH, and now Director of Harvard's Program in Ethics and Health (PEH)
- Robert O. Keohane of Princeton University. (See Above Article)
- "People | The Dickson Poon School of Law | King's College London". Kcl.ac.uk. Retrieved 2021-04-30.
- "CV" (PDF). fds.duke.edu. Retrieved 2021-04-30.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Allen Buchanan.|