Allen Township, Hancock County, Ohio
|Allen Township, Hancock County, Ohio|
Lake at Van Buren State Park
Location of Allen Township in Hancock County.
|• Total||23.9 sq mi (61.8 km2)|
|• Land||23.7 sq mi (61.5 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.3 km2)|
|Elevation||794 ft (242 m)|
|• Density||88.8/sq mi (34.3/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086238|
Allen Township is one of the seventeen townships of Hancock County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 2,110 people in the township, 1,797 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the northern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Bloom Township, Wood County - northeast
- Cass Township - east
- Marion Township - southeast
- Liberty Township - southwest
- Portage Township - west
- Henry Township, Wood County - northwest
Several populated places are located in Allen Township:
- Part of Findlay, a city and the county seat of Hancock County, in the south
- Van Buren, a village in the north
- Mortimer, an unincorporated community in the center
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Hancock County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Archived (PDF) from the original on 16 March 2007. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.