Allen Township, Union County, Ohio
|Allen Township, Union County, Ohio|
Location of Allen Township in Union County
|• Total||30.1 sq mi (78.0 km2)|
|• Land||30.1 sq mi (77.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation||1,027 ft (313 m)|
|• Density||50.4/sq mi (19.5/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1087073|
Allen Township was organized on June 5, 1827. The town was named for Daniel Allen, one of the first settlers to the area. Allen was one of the first thirteen citizens to vote in the township, and was one of the first trustees.
Located in the western part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Liberty Township - north
- Paris Township - east
- Union Township - southeast
- Rush Township, Champaign County - southwest
- Zane Township, Logan County - west
No municipalities are located in Allen Township.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Union County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Archived (PDF) from the original on 16 March 2007. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- "History of Allen Township". Allen Township. Retrieved 2012-05-07.
- Owen, Lorrie K., ed. Dictionary of Ohio Historic Places. Vol. 2. St. Clair Shores: Somerset, 1999, 1363.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.