Allerton High School
The façade of the school, 2009
|Motto||"Enabling young people to achieve success"|
|Type||Comprehensive community school|
|Headteacher||Mrs E. Silson|
|DfE URN||108057 Tables|
Allerton High School Business and Enterprise is an 11-19 comprehensive school in Alwoodley, Leeds, West Yorkshire, England specialising in Business and Enterprise. It is situated around 500 metres north of the A6120 Leeds Outer Ring Road, north of the Moor Allerton shopping centre and east of St Stephen's church. The head teacher is Mrs Elaine Silson.
The school was opened in 1939 as a girls' grammar school by the City of Leeds Education Committee. The school had previously been on Harrogate Road near Stainbeck Lane since 1901, and moved to Moor Allerton in 1939.
In the 1960s it had around 700 girls.
In 1972, boys were included in the student body and the school became a 13–18 comprehensive. It later became an 11–19 comprehensive, and in 1992 underwent a physical expansion.
The school has a standard uniform, comprising a dark green V-necked top printed with the school logo, a white shirt, a green and white school tie, a dark green skirt (girls only) or black trousers (either sex), and black shoes (heels to be no higher than 5 cm) with black socks. A dark green or black headscarf may be worn. The school is involved in the Excellence in Cities initiative. Its motto was "In Minimis Fidelis" until 2004, when it was changed to "Enabling Young People To Achieve Success".
The new building includes a substantial multi-faith centre.
The school was used in 2010 for the filming of Married Single Other, making it one of a small number in Leeds to be used on television including Allerton Grange School and Foxwood School.
Notable former students
- Soul singer Corinne Bailey Rae attended in the 1990s and became head girl.
- Celebrity chef Marco Pierre White attended the school but left without any qualifications,
Girls' grammar school
- Dame Fanny Waterman CBE, piano educator and concert pianist who founded the Leeds International Pianoforte Competition (educated at Chapel Allerton High School, the predecessor), and also later taught at the school on King Lane from 1943
- Helen Williams CB, Director of School Curriculum and Pupil Well-being at the Department for Education since 2006. married to David Forrester, Director from 1995-2001 of Further Education and Youth Training at the DfEE
- Allerton High School (2013). "Prospectus 2013-2014" (PDF). Retrieved 26 December 2013.
- Chapel Allerton High and the school's head girls
- Allerton High School (2009). "Allerton High School - School History". Retrieved 1 February 2009.
- Leeds City Council Media Release[permanent dead link] Prime Minister Opens Allerton High School
- Allerton High School (2007). "Uniform". Retrieved 1 February 2009.
- Alison Boshoff, "So why was Corinne Bailey Rae so deeply in love with her husband found dead in a drugs den?", Daily Mail, 3 April 2008
- Yorkshire Post 3 April 2009
- Yvonne Swann, www.marcopierrewhite.org Biography
- "Marco Pierre White: Me and my school photo", Daily Mail, 5 February 2010
- Ofsted Report 1 October 2008