|Type||Publicly traded partnership|
Paul P. Bernstein
Shepard D. Osherow
Lewis A. Sanders
|Seth Bernstein, CEO, |
Ramon de Oilveira, Chairman,
Kate Burke, Chief Operating Officer,
John C. Weisenseel, CFO
Laurence E. Cranch, Chief Legal Officer
|Products||Asset management, Mutual funds, Sell-side research, private wealth management|
|Revenue||US$4.44 billion (Dec 2021)|
|US$1.15 billion (Dec 2021)|
|AUM||US$779 billion (Dec 2021)|
|Total assets||US$10.51 billion (Dec 2021)|
|Owner||Equitable Holdings (64%)|
Number of employees
|4,118 (Dec 2021)|
AllianceBernstein Holding L.P. (AB) is a global asset management firm providing investment management and research services worldwide to institutional, high-net-worth and retail investors.
AllianceBernstein's headquarters are located in Nashville, Tennessee; the firm also has locations throughout the world. It has approximately US$686 billion in assets under management as of April 25, 2021.
AllianceBernstein traces its origins back to the founding of Sanford C. Bernstein in 1967 as an investment-management firm for private clients. Sanford C. Bernstein & Company was originally co-founded by Zalman Bernstein, Paul P. Bernstein, Shepard D. Osherow, Roger Hertog and Lewis A. Sanders.
In October 2000, Alliance Capital acquired Sanford C. Bernstein. Alliance Capital's growth equity and corporate fixed-income investing, and its family of retail mutual funds, accompanied Bernstein's value equity and tax-exempt fixed-income management and its private-client business.
It had approximately US$800 billion assets under management as of the end of 2007.
On January 20, 2015, AllianceBernstein announced a new brand name ("AB") and logo.
In February 2018, a senior research analyst of the firm, Paul Gait, defined the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC)– a country rich in cobalt, which is essential to the lithium-ion batteries that drive electric vehicles –as economically "the Saudi Arabia of the electric vehicle age."
In June 2020, AllianceBernstein acquired investment management firm AnchorPath for $400 million.
In April 2021, AllianceBernstein moved to a new headquarters in Nashville, Tennessee. In September 2021, AllianceBernstein gave a $100,000 gift to the Nashville-based Martha O'Bryan Center.
In March 2022, it was announced that AllianceBernstein and AllianceBernstein Holding had acquired the Minneapolis headquartered CarVal Investors - a global private alternatives investment manager.
Institutional investment management
AllianceBernstein provides investment services for institutions. Typical clients include Defined benefit pension plans and Defined contribution plans. It has approximately US$498 billion in assets under management as of June 30, 2017.
The retail part of AllianceBernstein provides financial professionals and individual investors with investments, research and tools that cover mutual funds, Managed Accounts, College Saving, Retirement Saving, and Insurance Services.
Private wealth management
Bernstein Wealth Management, part of AllianceBernstein, provides investment and wealth-planning services for high-net-worth clients in the Americas
529 savings plan
Rhode Island's 529 savings plan, CollegeBoundfund®, was managed by AllianceBernstein and featured AllianceBernstein mutual funds until 2016. It is now administered by Ascensus College Savings.
Headquarters and locations
AllianceBernstein's global headquarters are located in Nashville, TN at the Fifth and Broadway development, having recently moved from Midtown Manhattan in New York City. AllianceBernstein has offices in 46 locations across 22 countries.
- "10-K Form 2021". alliancebernstein.com. Retrieved 23 March 2022.
- "Shepard D. Osherow, Co-Founder Sanford C. Bernstein and Company". yourcompanyswebsite.com. Archived from the original on 2015-12-23. Retrieved 2015-12-23.
- "Our History". AB. Retrieved 2020-03-16.
- "Alliance Capital to Buy Sanford C. Bernstein". Los Angeles Times.
- Kerber, Ross; McLaughlin, Tim (2 May 2017). "AllianceBernstein parent abruptly removes CEO Kraus, directors". Reuters. Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- "AllianceBernstein Launches New Branding Initiative". www.prnewswire.com.
- "Bernstein Conference". www.bernsteinresearch.com. Retrieved 2022-05-11.
- ""The [Ivanhoe] pullback investors have been waiting for"". www.mining-journal.com. 2018-02-02. Retrieved 2022-05-11.
- "Fidelity, AllianceBernstein Reap Payday After Winn-Dixie Rescue". Bloomberg.com. 2021-08-09. Retrieved 2021-09-11.
- Cheng, Evelyn (2 May 2018). "An old Wall Street money manager with $500 billion is moving to Nashville from Manhattan to save money". CNBC. Retrieved 11 May 2022.
- Massa, Annie (11 May 2022). "What Happened When a Wall Street Investment Giant Moved to Nashville". Bloomberg Businessweek. Retrieved 11 May 2022.
- Nauman, Billy (September 11, 2019). "AllianceBernstein sends staff to climate school". www.ft.com. Archived from the original on 2019-09-14. Retrieved 2021-09-11.
- Lerner-Lam, Michelle Dunstan, Lisa Sachs, and Art. "The World Is Starting to Pivot on Climate. It's Not Enough". www.barrons.com. Retrieved 2021-09-11.
- "AllianceBernstein acquires investment manager AnchorPath". www.spglobal.com. Retrieved 2021-05-17.
- Stinnett, Joel (April 29, 2021). "AllianceBernstein sets timetable for opening of new Fifth + Broadway headquarters". Nashville Business Journal. Retrieved 4 June 2021.
- Stinnett, Joel (April 29, 2021). "AllianceBernstein sets timetable for opening of new Fifth + Broadway headquarters". www.bizjournals.com. Archived from the original on 2021-04-29. Retrieved 2021-09-11.
- "Of Note: AllianceBernstein gifts O'Bryan Center $100K". Nashville Post. Retrieved 2021-09-11.
- "AllianceBernstein Forms Partnership with LSV Advisors for Firm's Private Wealth Business - SWFI". www.swfinstitute.org. Retrieved 2021-09-11.
- "AllianceBernstein to acquire global private alternatives manager CarVal Investors". www.hedgeweek.com. 2022-03-17. Retrieved 2022-03-17.
- "Fourth Quarter Fact Sheet" (PDF).
- "About Us-Investments | AB". www.alliancebernstein.com.
- "Bernstein Research". AB.
- "Overview". www.bernstein.com.
- "Rhode Island (RI) 529 College Savings Plans - Saving for College". www.savingforcollege.com.
- Anderson, Patrick. "R.I. chooses new manager for CollegeBoundfund". Retrieved 2016-08-08.
- "All Locations, AllianceBernstein". www.alliancebernstein.com.
- Bary, Andrew. "Life Insurer Equitable Is a Cheap Way to Play AllianceBernstein". www.barrons.com. Retrieved 2021-09-25.
- Business data for AllianceBernstein Holding L.P.: