|Traded as||LSE: ATST|
|Headquarters||Dundee, Scotland, UK|
|Lord Smith (Chairman)
Peter Michaelis (Head of Investment)
|Products||Investment management, pensions|
|Revenue||£114.4 million (2015)|
|£70.0 million (2015)|
|Profit||£60.6 million (2015)|
Alliance Trust PLC is a publicly traded investment and financial services company, headquartered in Dundee, Scotland. Established in 1888, the firm operates the largest investment trust in the UK. Alliance Trust is the sixth largest public company based in Scotland. It is listed on the London Stock Exchange and is a constituent of the FTSE 250 Index.
The Alliance Trust PLC was formed by the 1888 merger of three Dundee-based mortgage and land companies: the Dundee Investment Company, the Dundee Mortgage and Trust Investment Company (see 1888 U.S. Supreme Court case Dundee Mortgage Trust Investment Co v. Hughes, 124 U.S. 157) and the Oregon and Washington Trust (which was set up to provide loans to immigrant farmers on the West Coast of the United States). Many prominent figures in Dundee invested some of their money in the Alliance Trust and its predecessors, including merchants, ship owners, textile manufacturers and businessman such as Sir John Leng. The company subsequently expanded into other asset classes. In 1918 the firm agreed to share premises and other costs with the Western & Hawaiian Investment Company, a mortgage lender which initially focused its business on sugar planters in Hawaii before expanding. Five years later it was renamed The Second Alliance Trust, although no formal merger between the two took place until 2006.
The Trusts later moved into fixed income investing in the 1920s and 30s, before adding significant quantities of shares to their portfolios in the late 1950s. A savings division was established by Alliance Trust in 1986, offering pensions and other investment products. A formal merger with The Second Alliance Trust was finally conducted in 2006, as the investment strategies of the two companies had come to closely resemble each other.
The company focuses its investment in global equities and fixed income. It is the parent company to Alliance Trust Investments which acts as the investment manager and alternative investment fund manager.
- "Annual Report 2015" (PDF). Alliance Trust. Retrieved 28 March 2016.
- Rutherford, Hamish (6 February 2008). "Alliance Trust comes out of turbulence on top to join FTSE 100". The Scotsman. Archived from the original on 7 February 2008. Retrieved 18 February 2008.
- Robbins, Bruce (9 January 2007). "Alliance Trust makes city hub of expansion". The Courier. Retrieved 18 February 2008.
- "About us: History 1873–1888". Alliance Trust. Retrieved 18 February 2008.
- Baxter, Kenneth (March–April 2011). "The Alliance Trust: Dundee and the Wild West" (PDF). Broadsheet- The SCA Newsletter (1): 6. Retrieved 9 June 2011.
- "About us: History 1918–1966". Alliance Trust. Retrieved 18 February 2008.
- "MS 335 Alliance Trust Archive". Archive Services Online Catalogue. University of Dundee. Retrieved 13 October 2014.
- Bolger, Andrew (6 February 2005). "On the way up in the oldest lift in the land". Financial Times. Retrieved 18 February 2008.
- "About us: History 1969–1998". Alliance Trust. Retrieved 18 February 2008.
- Farrow, Paul (29 March 2006). "Alliance puts its trust in £2.8 billion merger". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 18 February 2008.
- "Business Archives". Archives, Records and Artefacts at the University of Dundee. Retrieved 13 October 2013.
- "Katherine Garrett-Cox to leave Alliance Trust". BBC. 15 February 2016. Retrieved 28 March 2016.
- "Alliance Trust completes investment reshuffle". Fund Strategy. 4 February 2016. Retrieved 28 March 2016.