Alliance University is a private university that was established in 2010 in Bangalore, India.
Alliance University grew out of the "Academy Business School", which was founded around 2005 and in turn grew out of the "Alliance Group of Institutions", which had been founded in the mid-1990s. Madhukar G. Angur, then on the faculty of University of Michigan, was an honorary dean of the Academy Business School and his brother, Sudhir Angur, was the president.
Alliance University was one of the first private universities in the state of Karnataka along with Azim Premji University, and was established under state legislation. The sponsoring body of the university is Alliance Business School Pvt. Ltd, run by the Angur family, and until 2016 the university's chancellor was Madhukar Angur.
As of 2016 it had around 6,500 students.
As early as 2014 disputes within the Angur family began interrupting the management of the university; in 2015 Madhukar Angur removed his brother, sister, and other family members from the board and filed police charges that they had stolen money and mismanaged the university.
Around April 2016 Madhukar Angur was fired as chancellor and replaced by his brother, Sudhir Angur, and by June the power struggle within the family for control led to the university being closed for two weeks and semester-end exams were indefinitely postponed. The university went on holidays two more times in 2016; in September Madhukar Angur forcibly took back the chancellorship, and the next month his brother forcibly took it back.
In November 2016 a government-appointed investigation by M.I. Savadatti reported that it found that between 2010 and 2016 Madhukar Angur had been "deeply involved in committing huge financial irregularities causing wrongful loss to Alliance University a total amount of Rs 96 crore" (around US$14 million).
Students and their families began to request refunds, and appealed to the government of Karnataka to intervene. The government had no legal right to intervene in a private university, and in November worked to change the law so that it could. In December 2017 the government appointed an administrator with unspecified tenure and said that the Angurs could no longer be involved in managing the operations of the university.
As of March 2018 litigation between family members over control of the university was pending in the High Court.
- "Alliance offers management diploma". The Hindu. 8 June 2006.
- Veenhuis, David (7 February 2010). "U investigates professor". The Michigan Times. Archived from the original on 21 September 2013.
- Govindarajan, Nirmala (17 July 2007). "Biz schools beckon the gals - Times of India". The Times of India.
- Kurup, Deepa (20 March 2010). "Private varsities Bills draw flak for 'arbitrary approval process'". The Hindu.
- Seshagiri, Mathang (4 January 2011). "Plan to split Bangalore University into 2 ready". Times of India.
- Prasad, Shyam (11 May 2017). "HC puts students first in Alliance's internal dispute". Bangalore Mirror.
- "Alliance varsity declares holidays yet again". The Hindu. 16 October 2016. Retrieved 20 August 2017.
- Kumar, Praveen (6 May 2015). "Alliance sours: B-school in family feud". Bangalore Mirror.
- "Chancellor of private varsity held for rape - Times of India". The Times of India. 7 February 2016.
- Gowda, Aravind (7 March 2016). "Second rape case against Alliance University chancellor Madhukar G Angur". India Today.
- Kulkarni, Tanu (27 June 2016). "Alliance University students bear the brunt of family feud". The Hindu. Retrieved 20 August 2017.
- Ram, Theja (11 November 2017). "As a family feud spirals out of control, students of Alliance University get harassed". The News Minute.
- Joshi, Bharath (11 November 2016). "Panel finds Rs 96-cr scam at Karnataka's first private varsity Alliance University". The Economic Times.
- Kulkarni, Tanu (11 November 2017). "Government mulling over taking control of Alliance University". The Hindu.
- "Government may appoint administrator for Alliance University". The Hindu. 17 December 2016. Retrieved 20 August 2017.
- Belur, Rashmi (12 November 2017). "Karnataka will amend Education act to rein in private varsities". The New Indian Express.
- Belur, Rashmi (15 December 2017). "Government appoints administrative officer for Alliance university". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 1 June 2018.
- Belur, Rashmi (3 March 2018). "Alliance University students approach government for fee refund". The New Indian Express.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Alliance University.|