Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers
Number of locations
Fiat Chrysler Automobiles
Ford Motor Company
General Motors Company
Jaguar Land Rover
Volkswagen Group of America
Volvo Car USA
The Auto Alliance is a trade group of automobile manufacturers that operate in the United States. It is the leading advocacy group for the auto industry, representing 77% of all car and light truck sales in the United States. The Auto Alliance is active in the areas of environment, energy and motor vehicle safety. Mitch Bainwol is the CEO of the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers.
The trade group formed on January 13, 1999 to replace the American Automobile Manufacturers Association, which had represented only American manufacturers. As of January 2017, members of the Auto Alliance are:
- BMW Group
- Fiat Chrysler Automobiles
- Ford Motor Company
- General Motors
- Jaguar Land Rover
- Mercedes-Benz USA
- Mitsubishi Motors
- Volkswagen Group of America
- Volvo Car USA
As an advocacy group for the automobile industry on public policy issues, an example of the alliance's activity includes sponsorship of the Transportation Data Center at the University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute (UMTRI).
Likewise, the alliance is active in political lobbying on behalf of the industry. The alliance appealed, for instance, a district-court ruling in California in September 2007 that upholds states' ability to regulate exhaust emissions, the issue having a strong bearing on state and federal vehicle mileage regulations. They also have weighed in on the federal government's new fuel economy and emissions standards proposals calling for other industries to do their part in helping to trim pollution and conserve energy. The Alliance opposes the Motor Vehicle Owners' Right to Repair Act.
In September 2009, the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers joined the Obama administration and environmentalists in opposing an effort to bar the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency for one year from attempting to regulate green-house-gas emissions for power plants and other large sources, preferring a single nationwide set of rules, a main priority since 2002.
- "Alliance Mission Statement". The Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers (Auto Alliance).
- "Expert: California Car Data Privacy Bill 'Unworkable'". InsuranceNewsNet.com.
- "Alliance of Automobile Manufacturer (Auto Alliance)". Center for Automotive Research.
- "Transportation Data Center (TDC)". University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute.
- "Screw CAFE, California Wants 43.7 MPG: Automakers to Appeal States-Rights Ruling". Jalopnik.com, as reported by the Detroit News.
- "AAM Weighs In On Environmental Responsibility". Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers , as reported by Auto Trends. Archived from the original on 2008-08-02.
- Political Alliances Shift in Fight Over Climate Bill
- "Automakers reach out to Trump on regulation, seek review of fuel efficiency mandates". Automotive News. November 10, 2016. Retrieved November 11, 2016.