Alliance of Democrats
||This article may contain improper references to self-published sources. (July 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Part of a series on|
The Alliance of Democrats was a loose political international which operated from 2005 to 2012. While it did not publish an official manifesto, it consisted of a broad array of political parties that identified as centre-right, centrist, and centre-left. It was founded by the United States Democratic Party, the European Democratic Party (EDP) and the Council of Asian Liberals and Democrats (CALD).
The Alliance included members of the Centrist Democrat International (such as the Christian Democrat Party of Chile and the Democratic Union of Catalonia) and the Liberal International (such as all members of the Council of Asian Liberals and Democrats), as well as former members of Socialist International (the Indian National Congress), Israel's relatively new Kadima party, and conservative parties such as the Democratic Party of Serbia, which is also member of the International Democrat Union.
The Alliance was co-chaired by François Bayrou, Francesco Rutelli and Ellen Tauscher, while after 2008 Gianni Vernetti, who was also co-president of the Italian Liberal Group, was the Alliance's coordinator.
National parties and groups
|Africa||Alliance of Liberals and Democrats from the African Caribbean and Pacific|
|Asia||Council of Asian Liberals and Democrats|
|European Union||Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe|
|European Union||European Democratic Party|
Notable individual members
- Shukria Barakzai (Afghan politician and Muslim feminist)
- Pasqual Maragall (former president of the Generalitat de Catalunya)
- Ona Juknevičienė (MEP, EDP member)
- Paweł Piskorski (MEP, EDP member)
- Yolande Mukagasana (writer, witness to the genocide in Rwanda)
- Co-Chairs: François Bayrou, Francesco Rutelli and Ellen Tauscher (2005–...)
- Coordinator: Gianni Vernetti (2008–...)
- "Alliance of Democrats". European Democratic Party. Retrieved 23 November 2014.
- "Towards a new Alliance of Democrats". Alliance of Democrats. 21 April 2007. Archived from the original on 16 February 2012.
- "Board of Directors". Alliance of Democrats. Archived from the original on 16 February 2012.