March 11, 1822|
Fulton County, Georgia
|Died||October 5, 1862
Prairie County (present-day
Lonoke County), Arkansas
|Buried||Mount Holly Cemetery
Little Rock, Arkansas (Coordinates: )
|Allegiance|| United States
|Years of service||1846–1847
American Civil War
|Memorials||Camp Nelson Confederate Cemetery|
|9th Mayor of Atlanta|
During the Mexican-American War, Nelson served as a captain in the Kennesaw Rangers with another future mayor, Cicero C. Hammock, as well as the father of mayor John B. Goodwin – Private Williamson H. Goodwin. Nelson later served as a brigadier general under General Narciso López, in a failed attempt to free Cuba from Spain.
In a close election for mayor, Nelson, running as a Democrat, defeated the Know Nothing candidate, Ira O. McDaniel, but resigned in July when the city council reduced a fine he had levied on two young men for destroying city property, thus leaving John Glen as acting mayor.
Nelson left for Kansas during the border disputes, then moved to Meridian, Texas, where he was involved with Indian affairs, serving under Lawrence Sullivan Ross and in 1860 was elected to the state legislature. During the American Civil War he served as a brigadier general in the Confederate army until he contracted typhus in September 1862 and died a month later. He was buried in Little Rock, Arkansas.
- Eicher, John H., and David J. Eicher, Civil War High Commands. Stanford: Stanford University Press, 2001. ISBN 978-0-8047-3641-1.
- Sifakis, Stewart. Who Was Who in the Civil War. New York: Facts On File, 1988. ISBN 978-0-8160-1055-4.
- Warner, Ezra J. Generals in Gray: Lives of the Confederate Commanders. Baton Rouge: Louisiana State University Press, 1959. ISBN 978-0-8071-0823-9.
- Allison Nelson from the Handbook of Texas Online
- Camp Nelson Cemetery
- TDGH - March 11
- Encyclopedia of Arkansas History & Culture entry
- Birthplace of Allison Nelson historical marker
- Allison Nelson at Find a Grave
William M. Butt
|Mayor of Atlanta
|This article about a person of the American Civil War is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|