|Dates of operation
The Alloa Railway was authorised on 11 August 1879 to link the South Alloa Branch of the Scottish Central Railway to the Stirling and Dunfermline Railway.
||This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (November 2008)
The Alloa railway was connected to the Stirling and Dunfermline Railway by a connecting line from Longcarse Junction built by the North British Railway in exchange for reciprocal running powers.
British Railways added a second connection from Longcarse Junction to Alloa Marshalling Yard (parallel with the S&D line) in 1957. This made the turntable at Alloa passenger station redundant.
Alloa Swing Bridge
The swing bridge across the Forth was opened on 1 October 1885. It was subsequently closed twice due to storm damage in 1904/5 and 1920/1.
- 29 January 1968 - Closed to passengers
- 6 May 1968 - Alloa Swing Bridge totally closed
- 18 May 1970 - remaining northerly section totally closed
- 8 February 1971 - Alloa Swing Bridge demolished
- 1 April 1978 - remaining southerly section totally closed
Connections to other lines