|Born||May 5, 1977|
|Education||University of Cambridge, University College London Medical School|
|Known for||Surgical innovations, Training in Ophthalmology co-author|
|Institutions||Moorfields Eye Hospital, London, Ophthalmic Consultants of Long Island, L&D University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, UCL Partners, Ophthalmic Consultants of London|
|Sub-specialties||Cornea, Cataract and Refractive Treatment of High Myopia|
|Research||Keratoconus, Prevention of Iatrogenic Ectasia|
|Awards||Alcon Prize for Poster, UK and Ireland Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons (UKISCRS) Annual Congress|
Allon Barsam is a London-based ophthalmologist specializing in cataract surgery, refractive surgery and corneal and external eye disease. Barsam carried out the first human treatments of microwave keratoplasty.
Barsam attended Cambridge University and University College London Medical School, graduating with Honours and a Distinction in Surgery. After finishing his residency training at Moorfields Eye Hospital, he then completed a yearlong fellowship at the Ophthalmic Consultants of Long Island in New York and worked closely with US experts in modern cornea and refractive surgery, Eric Donnenfeld and A. John Kanellopoulos, with whom he continued to work and perform research. Barsam followed this with an additional Cornea, Cataract and Refractive Surgery Fellowship at the Western Eye Hospital in London.
He has published over 30 peer review publications, 8 book chapters and a textbook of Ophthalmology.
Barsam is a member of the Microsurgical Skills Teaching Faculty with the Royal College of Ophthalmologists. He has been a clinical examiner and lecturer for City University, School of Optometry and holds an NHS Consultant post at Luton and Dunstable University Hospital as well as an Honorary Consultant post at the Western Eye Hospital.
A member of the Executive Board of the London Deanery, Barsam has led a video-based instructional course in refractive anterior segment surgery as an instructor at the European and American Societies of Cataract and Refractive Surgery. He speaks, chairs and moderates research sessions internationally and co-authored the textbook Training in Ophthalmology ISBN 9780199237593.
In December 2018, Barsam along with consultant surgeons Ali Mearza and Romesh Angunawela co-founded Ophthalmic Consultant of London, a partnership of UK consultants specialising in laser and lens vision correction surgery.
The new clinic based in New Cavendish Street opened its doors in January 2019 and offers some of the most technologically advanced treatments available.
In 2010 Allon Barsam led research into the success of implantable lenses versus laser eye surgery.
- NHS Biography, Accessed 2016-09-19 http://www.ldh.nhs.uk/gps-professionals/consultants-and-services/?entryid1=2355.
- Marshall, John; Muller, David; Patmore, Anne; Barsam, Allon (2010-03-01). "Keratorefractive effect of microwave keratoplasty on human corneas". Journal of Cataract & Refractive Surgery. 36 (3): 472–476. doi:10.1016/j.jcrs.2009.10.032. ISSN 0886-3350. PMID 20202547.
- "Allon Barsam, Spire Healthcare". Spire Healthcare. Retrieved 11 February 2019.
- "5 Questions with Allon Barsam, MD, MA, FRCOphth". CRST Europe. June 2013. Retrieved 11 February 2019.
- Ziaei, Mohammed; Barsam, Allon; Shamie, Neda; Vroman, David; Kim, Terry; Donnenfeld, Eric D.; Holland, Edward J.; Kanellopoulos, John; Mah, Francis S. (2015-04-01). "Reshaping procedures for the surgical management of corneal ectasia". Journal of Cataract & Refractive Surgery. 41 (4): 842–872. doi:10.1016/j.jcrs.2015.03.010. ISSN 0886-3350. PMID 25840308.
- Barsam, Allon. "Staff Directory". Luton and Dunstable University Hospital. NHS Foundation Trust. Retrieved 11 February 2019.
- Devlin, Kate (2010-05-12). "Clipping lenses to the eye 'gives better results than laser surgery'". ISSN 0307-1235. Retrieved 2019-02-05.
- Barsam, Allon (2012). Body Invaders, I Was Impaled (Television Programme). The Discovery Channel. Retrieved 11 February 2019.
- Barsam, Allon. "IMDB, Allon Barsam". IMDB. Retrieved 11 February 2019.
- "Ophthalmic Consultants of London". Ophthalmic Consultants of London. Retrieved 11 February 2019.
- Wickens, Zoe (7 February 2019). "UK eye surgeons launch new vision correction clinic". Optician Online. Retrieved 11 February 2019.
- Shepherd, Viv (5 February 2019). "Leading eye surgeons join forces to launch innovative new clinic". Healthcare Business. Retrieved 11 February 2019.
- Joelving, Frederick (12 May 2010). "Are implantable lenses safer than laser surgery?". Reuters. Retrieved 11 February 2019.
- Donnenfeld, Eric D.; Perry, Henry D.; Barsam, Allon (2011-04-22). "Real Time Intraoperative Wavefront Aberrometry To Refine Outcomes In Patients With Long Or Short Axial Lengths Undergoing Cataract Surgery". Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science. 52 (14): 5699. ISSN 1552-5783.