|Born||May 5, 1977|
|Education||University of Cambridge, University College London Medical School|
|Known for||Surgical innovations, Training in Ophthalmology co-author|
|Field||Laser Eye Surgery and Cataract Surgery|
|Institutions||Moorfields Eye Hospital, London, Ophthalmic Consultants of Long Island, L&D University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, UCL Partners|
|Sub-Specialties||Cornea, Cataract and Refractive Treatment of High Myopia|
|Research||Keratoconus, Prevention of Iatrogenic Ectasia|
|Awards||Alcon Prize for Poster, UK and Ireland Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons (UKISCRS) Annual Congress|
Allon Barsam, MA MB BS FRCOphth, is a London-based ophthalmologist in cataract surgery, refractive surgery and corneal and external eye disease. As a British pioneer in eye surgery, Barsam carried out the first human treatments of microwave keratoplasty, and continues to innovate new treatments for patients at his London clinics.
Attending Cambridge University and University College London Medical School, Allon Barsam graduated with Honours and a Distinction in Surgery. After finishing his residency training at Moorfields Eye Hospital, he then completed a yearlong fellowship at the Ophthalmic Consultants of Long Island in New York and worked closely with the US experts in modern Cornea and Refractive Surgery: Eric Donnenfeld and A. John Kanellopoulos with whom he continued to work and perform research with. Allon Barsam followed this with an additional Cornea, Cataract and Refractive Surgery Fellowship at the Western Eye Hospital in London.
As an internationally renowned ophthalmologist, Allon Barsam is a member of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists prestigious Microsurgical Skills Teaching Faculty. He has been a clinical examiner and lecturer for City University, School of Optometry and holds an NHS Consultant post at Luton and Dunstable University Hospital as well as an Honorary Consultant post at the Western Eye Hospital.
A member of the Executive Board of the London Deanery, Allon has led a video based instructional course in refractive anterior segment surgery as an instructor at the European and American Societies of Cataract and Refractive Surgery. He is regularly invited to speak, chair and moderate research sessions internationally and co-authored the comprehensive textbook Training in Ophthalmology.
Research and Specialisms
In 2016 Allon Barsam planned, conducted and co-wrote a comprehensive study looking at risk factor for keratoconus, establishing himself as an expert on the corneal disease. He also pioneered a new technique for corneal transplant surgery working alongside Dr Hank Perry.
- NHS Biography, Accessed 2016-09-19 http://www.ldh.nhs.uk/gps-professionals/consultants-and-services/?entryid1=2355.
- Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery, March 2010, Volume 36. http://www.jcrsjournal.org/issue/S0886-3350(10)X0002-5
- Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery, April 2015 Volume 41. http://www.jcrsjournal.org/issue/S0886-3350(14)X0015-5
- Training in Ophthalmology, OUP Oxford, Feb 2009 https://books.google.co.uk/books/about/Training_in_Ophthalmology.html?id=O7ctDKhhzFIC&redir_esc=y
- Barsam, Allon; Allan, Bruce D. S. (2014-06-17). "Excimer laser refractive surgery versus phakic intraocular lenses for the correction of moderate to high myopia". The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (6): CD007679. doi:10.1002/14651858.CD007679.pub4. ISSN 1469-493X. PMID 24937100.
- Clipping lenses to the eye 'gives better results than laser surgery', Telegraph,12 May 2010 https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/7711134/Clipping-lenses-to-the-eye-gives-better-results-than-laser-surgery.html
- Barsam, Allon; Brennan, Nic; Petrushkin, Harry; Xing, Wen; Quartilho, Ana; Bunce, Catey; Foot, Barny; Cartwright, Nathaniel Knox; Haridas, Anjana (2016-07-07). "Case-control study of risk factors for acute corneal hydrops in keratoconus". The British Journal of Ophthalmology. doi:10.1136/bjophthalmol-2015-308251. ISSN 1468-2079. PMID 27388247.
- Barsam, A.; Petrushkin, H.; Brennan, N.; Bunce, C.; Xing, W.; Foot, B.; Tuft, S. (2015-04-01). "Acute corneal hydrops in keratoconus: a national prospective study of incidence and management". Eye (London, England). 29 (4): 469–474. doi:10.1038/eye.2014.333. ISSN 1476-5454. PMC 4816374. PMID 25592120.
- Casswell, Edward J.; Bowes, Oliver; Barsam, Allon; Perry, Henry D. (2016-06-01). "Endothelial Cell Loss After Needle-Push Insertion Descemet Stripping Endothelial Keratoplasty (DSEK)". Cornea. 35 (6): e16–17. doi:10.1097/ICO.0000000000000835. ISSN 1536-4798. PMID 27055220.
- Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science April 2011, Vol.52. http://iovs.arvojournals.org/article.aspx?articleid=2361756