Allora & Calzadilla
|Allora & Calzadilla|
Allora & Calzadilla, "Stop Repair, Prepare", 2008
|Born||Jennifer Allora Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
March 20, 1974 |
Guillermo Calzadilla Havana, Cuba January 10, 1971
|Education||Jennifer Allora: University of Richmond, Virginia, Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Guillermo Calzadilla: Escuela de Artes Plasticas, San Juan and Bard College|
|Known for||performance, sculpture, video art, and sound art|
Jennifer Allora (born 20 March 1974) and Guillermo Calzadilla (born 10 January 1971) are a collaborative duo of visual artists who live and work in San Juan, Puerto Rico. They were the United States Representatives for the 2011 Venice Biennale, the 54th International Art Exhibition, in 2011.
Early life and education
Jennifer Allora was born in 1974 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. In 1996 she received a BA from the University of Richmond in Virginia. In 2003 she attained a Master of Science from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Between 1998-99 she was a fellow at the Whitney Museum of American Art Independent Study Program.
Guillermo Calzadilla was born in 1971 in Havana, Cuba. In 1996 he received a BFA from Escuela de Artes Plásticas in San Juan, Puerto Rico. In 1998 he attended the Skowhegan School of Painting and Sculpture and he attained an MFA from Bard College in 2001.
Work and themes
Since the beginning of their collaborative career in 1995, Allora & Calzadilla have worked in a variety of media to produce a body of work spanning sculpture, photography, performance art, sound and video. They challenge viewers to build meaning by reading a work as literal, metaphorical, evidential, and political, but also to take part in the work as an experiential event that heightens one’s aesthetic sensibility.
Allora & Calzadilla's work has been featured in solo exhibitions internationally, including Haus der Kunst, Munich (2008), Serpentine Gallery and Whitechapel Art Gallery, London (2007), Les Rencontres d'Arles festival, France (2008), Stedelijk Museum in Amsterdam (2008), Kunsthalle Zurich (2007), National Museum of Art, Oslo (2009)  and the Renaissance Society, Chicago (2007). Allora & Calzadilla also participated in the 5th and 7th Gwangju Biennale (2004 and 2008).
2011 Venice Biennale
On September 8, 2010, the United States Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA) announced the selection of Allora & Calzadilla as the American representative at the 2011 Venice Biennale, a first for artists living in Puerto Rico. The proposal for the exhibition was developed between the artists and curator Lisa D. Freiman (Chair, Department of Contemporary Art, Indianapolis Museum of Art, and Director, 100 Acres: The Virginia B. Fairbanks Art & Nature Park), during the fall and winter of 2009. The exhibition consisted of six new commissions, including: Armed Freedom Lying on a Sunbed (2011), Track and Field (2011), Body in Flight (Delta) (2011), Body in Flight (American) (2011), Algorithm (2011) and Half Mast\Full Mast (2010).
Their works are held in a number of public institutions, including the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, New York, the Museum of Modern Art, New York, Centre Pompidou, Paris, the Dallas Museum of Art, Dallas, TX, the Museum of Contemporary Art, Chicago, the Walker Art Center, the Tate Modern, London, the Princeton University Art Museum, New Jersey, the Museum Het Domein, the Museo de Arte de Puerto Rico, San Juan, the MUSEION – Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art, Bolzano, the Musèe d’Art Moderne de la Ville de Paris, the Kunstmuseen Krefeld/Museum Haus Esters, Haus Lange, Krefeld, The Israël Museum, Jerusalem, the *Fonds Régional d’Art Contemporain (FRAC), Aquitaine, the Castello de Rivoli Museo d’Arte Contemporanea, Rivoli, the Baltimore Museum of Art, Baltimore, Artium. Centro Museo Vasco de Arte Contemporáneo, Basque Country and the Ellipse Foundation in Alcoitão, Portugal.
In 2008 Allora & Calzadilla were featured in the PBS series Art:21. In 2011 the artists were shortlisted for London's Fourth Plinth commission. They represented the USA in the 2011 Venice Biennale.
Awards & Grants
- 2007 Rencontres d'Arles Discovery Award laureate, France
- 2006 Hugo Boss Prize Finalist
- 2006 Nam June Paik Award Finalist
- 2004 Gwangju Biennial Prize
- 2003 Penny McCall Foundation Grant
- 2002 Joan Mitchell Foundation Grant
- 2000-2001 Cintas Fellowship (Guillermo Calzadilla)
Solo Exhibition Catalogues and Publications
- Freiman, Lisa D, ed. Gloria: Allora & Calzadilla. New York: DelMonico Books and Prestel, 2011.
- McKee, Yates. Allora & Calzadilla: Vieques Videos 2003-2010. London: Lisson Gallery, 2011.
- Stange, Raimar. Allora & Calzadilla. Nurnberg: Verlag fur moderne Kunst Nurnberg, 2010.
- Ruf, Beatrix, ed. Allora & Calzadilla. Zurich: JRP/Ringier, 2009.
- Allora, Jennifer and Guillermo Calzadilla. Guantanamo Bay Song Book. Japan: CCA Kitakyushu, 2009.
- Klerck Gange, Eva and Hou Hanru. Allora & Calzadilla. Oslo: Nasjonalmuseet for kunst, arkiyektur og design, 2009
- Rosenberg, Angela (ed.), Allora & Calzadilla Compass, Verlag der Buchhandlung Walther König, Cologne, 2009.
- Martin, Sylvia. Allora & Calzadilla – A Man Screaming is Not a Dancing Bear. How To Appear Invisible. Krefeld: Kunstmuseen Krefeld/Museum Haus Esters, 2009.
- Jennifer Allora and Guillermo Calzadilla, Allora & Calzadilla & etc., Verlag der Buchhandlung Walther König, Cologne, 2009.
- Lorz, Julienne. Allora & Calzadilla: Stop, Repair, Prepare. Cologne: Verlag der Buchhandlung Walther König, 2008.
- Miki, Akiko, et al. Allora & Calzadilla: Land Mark. Paris: Palais de Tokyo, 2006.
- Hernández Chong-Cuy, Sofia ed. Allora & Calzadilla, Ink, Monterrey and the Americas Society, New York, 2005.
- Mckee, Yates. Common Sense? Boston: Institute of Contemporary Art, Boston|Institute of Contemporary Art, 2004.
Selected Articles and Reviews
- Bishop, Claire. "Delegated Performance: Outsourcing Authenticity." October, Spring 2012, 91.
- Yates McKee, "Wake, Vestige, Survival: Sustainability and the Politics of the Trace in Allora and Calzadilla’s Land Mark," October #133, MIT Press, summer 2010.
- Smith, Roberta. "I Just popped Out to Play Beethoven." New York Times, December 9, 2010.
- Motta, Carlos. "Allora & Calzadilla", Bomb, no. 109 (Fall 2009): 65-71
- Tom McDonough. “Use What Sinks: Allora & Calzadilla,” Art in America, New York City, no. 1, January 2008.
- McDonough, Tom. "Use What Sinks: Allora & Calzadilla," Art in America, January, 2008, 82-86.
- Smolik, Noemi. "Allora & Calzadilla: Haus der Kunst / Kunstverein," Artforum, October 2008, 397-98.
- Charlesworth, J.J. “Allora & Calzadilla: Power Plays,” Art Review, London, Issue 15, October 2007.
- Grifin, Tim. "Remote Possibilities: A Round Tablet Discussion on Land Art's Changing Terrain." Artforum, Summer 2005, 288.
- Illes, Chrissie, Tirdad Zolghadr, and Ralph Rugoff. "Venice Biennial 2005." Frieze no. 93 (September 2005): 98-101
- Kastner, Jeffrey. "Two for the Show." Artforum, May 2005, 141.
- McKee, Yates.“Allora & Calzadilla. The monstrous dimension of art,” Flash Art, Milan, no. 240, January–February 2005.
- Obrist, Hans-Ulrich. "1000 Words: Allora and Calzadilla Talk about Three Places in Vieques." Artforum, March 2005, 204-5.
- U.S. Department of State "Allora & Calzadilla to Represent United States at 54th Venice Art Biennale" Retrieved September 9, 2010
- "Allora and Calzadilla CV", Lisson Gallery, Retrieved 6 December 2014.
- PBS Art21
- "Collection Online: Jennifer Allora and Guillermo Calzadilla"
- Yablonsky, Linda. "Jennifer Allora and Guillermo Calzadilla", Interview Magazine, Retrieved 6 December 2014.
- Rogers, Laura C., “All the World’s Futures,” 56th Venice Biennale Short Guide, edited by Okwui Enwezor. Venice: La Biennale di Venezia, 2015.
- Haus der Kunst, Munich
- Serpentine Gallery
- Stedelijk Museum Amsterdam
- Kunsthalle Zurich
- National Museum of Art, Oslo
- Renaissance Society
- "Allora & Calzadilla to Represent United States at 54th Venice Art Biennale". U.S. State Department. The Office of Website Management, Bureau of Public Affairs. Retrieved August 10, 2015.
- Lisa D. Freiman (2011). Freiman, Lisa D., ed. Gloria: Allora & Calzadilla. Munich: Indianapolis Museum of Art, DelMonico Books, Prestel. p. 10.
- "Sweat Glands, Sweat Lands," 2006, Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, New York. Retrieved August 14, 2015.
- "Stop, Repair, Prepare: Variations on Ode to Joy for a Prepared Piano, No.1," 2008, Museum of Modern Art, Retrieved December 6, 2014.
- "Under Discussion", 2005, Centre Pompidou, Paris, Retrieved August 10, 2015
- "Under Discussion", Dallas Museum of Art, Retrieved 5 December 2014.
- "Ruin, Jennifer Allora & Guillermo Calzadilla", MCA Chicago, Retrieved 5 December 2014.
- "Chalk, Allora & Calzadilla", Walker Art Center, Minneapolis. Retrieved August 20, 2015
- "Balance of Power," TATE Modern Collection, Retrieved August 6, 2015
- "Ten Minute Transmission", TATE Modern Collection, Retrieved August 6, 2015
- "Land Mark (Footprints), 2001-2002", Princeton University Art Museum, Retrieved August 6, 2015
- "Amphibious (Login-logout)", Allora & Calzadilla, a-z artists, Collectie, Museum Het Domein, Retrieved August 6, 2015
- "Under Discussion", Colección, Museo de Arte de Puerto Rico, Retrieved August 6, 2015
- "Sediments Sentiments (Figures of Speech)", 2007, MUSEION, Bolzano, Retrieved August 7, 2015
- "There's More than One Way to Skin a Sheep", 2007, MUSEION, Bolzano, Retrieved August 7, 2015
- "A Man Screaming Is Not a Dancing Bear", 2008, MUSEION, Bolzano, Retrieved August 7, 2015
- "Amphibious (Login-logout)", 2005, Musée d'Art Moderne de la Ville de Paris, Retrieved August 7, 2015
- "How to Appear Invisible", 2009, Kunstmuseen Krefeld/Museum Haus Esters, Retrieved August 7, 2015
- "Under Discussion", 2005, The Israël Museum, Retrieved August 7, 2015
- "Returning A Sound", 2004, Fonds Régional d’Art Contemporain (FRAC), Aquitaine, Retrieved August 7, 2015
- "Stop, Repair, Prepare: Variations on Ode to Joy for a Prepared Piano", 2008, Castello de Rivoli Museo d’Arte Contemporanea, Retrieved August 7, 2015
- "A Man Screaming Is Not a Dancing Bear", 2008, Baltimore Museum of Art, Retrieved August 7, 2015
- "Signs Facing The Sky", 2000, Artium. Centro Museo Vasco de Arte Contemporáneo, Retrieved August 7, 2015
- Ellipse Foundation, ArtFacts.net
- Fourth Plinth
- The Hugo Boss Prize Shortlist The Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation
- 2004 Gwangju Biennial Prize
- Jennifer Allora & Guillermo Calzadilla, Painters & Sculptures Program Joan Mitchell Foundation
- Fellows in Chronological Order Cintas Foundation