Type of site
|Web search engine|
|Current status||Closed, Shut down by Yahoo!|
AlltheWeb (sometimes referred to as FAST or FAST Search) was an Internet search engine that made its debut in mid-1999 and was closed in 2011. It grew out of FTP Search, Tor Egge's doctorate thesis at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology, which he started in 1994, which in turn resulted in the formation of Fast Search & Transfer (FAST), established on July 16, 1997.
When AlltheWeb started in 1999, FAST aimed to provide their database to other search engines, major portals, ISPs and content sites. By August 2, 1999, the AlltheWeb database had grown to 200 million unique URLs. By June 2002, their crawler had indexed over 2 billion pages.
In February 2003, FAST's web search division was bought by Overture for $70 million. In July 2003, Overture was acquired by Yahoo!, putting AlltheWeb under the ownership of Yahoo!. Shortly after Yahoo!'s acquisition, the AlltheWeb site started using Yahoo!'s database and some of the advanced functions were removed, such as FTP search and direct image search.
In May 2006, Yahoo! started testing live search results on AlltheWeb.
On April 4, 2011, AlltheWeb was shut down by Yahoo!.
- "Short History of Early Search Engines – The History of SEO". www.thehistoryofseo.com. Retrieved 2019-02-03.
- "Gemini No.1 January 1999". NTNU. Archived from the original on 2012-09-05. Retrieved 2006-06-18.
- "Fast Search & Transfer - World's Biggest Internet Search Engine Goes Online". 1999-11-23. Archived from the original on 1999-11-23. Retrieved 2018-11-27.
- "FAST's ALLTHEWEB.COM dethrones Google as the world's largest search engine" (Press release). Fast Search & Transfer. 2002-06-17. Archived from the original on 27 December 2006. Retrieved 2006-12-17.
- "Fast launches ALLTHEWEB.COM Alchemist customized search tool" (Press release). Fast Search & Transfer. 2006-06-25. Archived from the original on 25 December 2006. Retrieved 2006-12-17.
- "AllTheWeb Now A Better Search Experience Than Google". Microdoc News. 2002-06-17. Archived from the original on 2003-07-04. Retrieved 2006-12-17.
- Danny Sullivan. "Overture To Buy FAST Web Search Division". Search Engine Watch. 2003-02-27. Archived from the original on 2003-02-27. Retrieved 2018-11-27.
- "Yahoo! Media Relations - Press Release". 2007-07-08. Archived from the original on 2007-07-08. Retrieved 2018-11-25.
- Sullivan, Danny (2006-05-10). "Yahoo Tests Livesearch On AllTheWeb; Google Patent Problem, Perhaps?". Search Engine Watch. Archived from the original on 2009-04-24. Retrieved 2019-02-10.
- Rao, Leena (March 18, 2011). "The Sun Will Set For Yahoo's AlltheWeb On April 4". TechCrunch. Archived from the original on 13 April 2011. Retrieved April 6, 2011.