Almost Human (2013 film)
|Directed by||Joe Begos|
|Written by||Joe Begos|
|Starring||Graham Skipper, Josh Ethier, Vanessa Leigh|
|Music by||Andy Garfield|
|Edited by||Josh Ethier|
Channel 83 Films, Ambrosino / Delmenico
|Distributed by||IFC Midnight|
Almost Human is a 2013 science fiction horror film directed by Joe Begos. His feature film directorial debut, it premiered on September 10, 2013 at the Toronto International Film Festival and stars Graham Skipper as a man whose best friend may or may not be committing a series of horrific murders.
Two years ago Mark (Josh Ethier) was kidnapped and taken to parts unknown. Upon his return Mark's personality is completely changed. His friends Seth (Graham Skipper) and Jen (Vanessa Leigh) decide to investigate Mark's mysterious disappearance and re-appearance, but are soon met with a series of grisly murders. It is become clear that Mark has become infected by a bloodthirsty alien parasite that is bent on destroying the world. Seth is the first to know when he notices there is something wrong with him. Jen is assaulted by Mark, who shows her through a psychic link that he was tortured. Seth must do everything he can before it's too late.
- Graham Skipper as Seth Hampton
- Josh Ethier as Mark Fisher
- Vanessa Leigh as Jen Craven
- Susan T. Travers as Becky
- Anthony Amaral III as Clyde Dutton
- Michael A. LoCicero as Barry
- Jeremy Furtado as Gas Station Customer
- Jami Tennille as Tracy
- Chuck Doherty as Clancy
- Kristopher Avedisian as Hunter 1
- David Langill as Hunter 2
- John Palmer as Jimmy
- Andre Boudreau as Car Driver
- Eric Berghman as Earle Harris
- Mark O'Leary as Dale
Critical reception for Almost Human has been mixed. The Torontoist rated the film at 3 1/2 stars out of 5. Much of the criticism centered on issues that Fearnet's Scott Weinberg considered "'first-timer' problems", such as the movie's acting, repetition, and slowness in the second act. However, as a whole the reviewers generally enjoyed the film and believed that Begos did show future potential. In contrast, ReelFilm was more critical of the film and stated that while it had a "watchable vibe", the movie "squandered the promise of its setup to become just another generic, shot-on-a-shoestring horror effort."
- DE COSTER, RAMZI. "IFC Midnight Nabs Sci-Fi Horror 'Almost Human' Before Fantastic Fest Bow". IndieWire. Retrieved 10 February 2014.
- "Video Interview with 'Almost Human' Director Joe Begos". Fearnet. Retrieved 10 February 2014.
- SELINGER, JULIA. "Watch: A Shotgun-Toting Murderer Seems 'Almost Human' in Grisly New Trailer". IndieWire. Retrieved 10 February 2014.
- Turek, Ryan. "Fantastic Fest Review: Almost Human". STYD. Retrieved 25 February 2014.
- "Almost Human (2012)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 10 February 2014.
- Demchuck, David. "This lo-fi alien abduction tale is gooey, splattery fun". Torontoist. Retrieved 10 February 2014.
- Weinberg, Scott. "Fearnet Movie Review: Almost Human". Fearnet. Retrieved 10 February 2014.
- Whitney, Serena. "Almost Human (review)". Dread Central. Retrieved 10 February 2014.
- "Quint brings you his opinion of Fantastic Fest Midnight Flick ALMOST HUMAN!". AICN. Retrieved 10 February 2014.
- "Toronto International Film Festival 2013 - UPDATE #9". ReelFilm. Retrieved 10 February 2014.