Almost Like Praying
|"Almost Like Praying"|
|Single by Lin-Manuel Miranda featuring Artists for Puerto Rico|
|Released||October 6, 2017|
|Lin-Manuel Miranda singles chronology|
"Almost Like Praying" is a song written by Lin-Manuel Miranda and recorded by him and numerous other artists under the collective name Artists for Puerto Rico. The song was released on October 6, 2017, by Atlantic Records to support relief efforts in Puerto Rico in response to Hurricane Maria, which struck the island in September 2017. Proceeds from the song are to be donated to the victims and survivors of the hurricane. The song debuted at number 20 on the Billboard Hot 100 and number one on the Billboard Digital Songs Sales chart, selling 111,000 downloads and achieving 5.2 million streams in its first week of availability in the US. In February 2018, a salsa remix of the song was released.
"Almost Like Praying" is a song conceived by Hamilton creator Lin-Manuel Miranda. Miranda, who is from New York but of Puerto Rican descent, has publicly described the song as "a love letter to Puerto Rico." Growing up, Miranda spent a month every summer in Puerto Rico visiting family. He had family there during Hurricane Maria.
The song is a compilation sung by numerous artists such as Jennifer Lopez, Camila Cabello, Gloria Estefan, Fat Joe, and Marc Anthony. It also includes samples from the song "Maria" from West Side Story. The song title is from that song's line "say it [Maria] soft, and it's almost like praying". Other artists on the song include Rubén Blades, Pedro Capó, Dessa, Luis Fonsi, Juan Luis Guerra, Alex Lacamoire, John Leguizamo, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Rita Moreno, Ednita Nazario, Joell Ortiz, Anthony Ramos, Gina Rodriguez, Gilberto Santa Rosa, PJ Sin Suela, Ana Villafañe and Tommy Torres. The sound of the Puerto Rican coquí frog can be heard at the beginning and the end of the song. Proceeds from the song are donated in full to the Hispanic Federation's UNIDOS Disaster Relief and Recovery Program, destined for the victims and survivors of the hurricane on the Isle of Puerto Rico.
|Scotland (Official Charts Company)||88|
|US Billboard Hot 100||20|
|US Hot Latin Songs (Billboard)||3|
- "Almost Like Praying (feat. Artists for Puerto Rico) – Single". iTunes Store. Retrieved November 2, 2017.
- Mahtani, Melissa (September 28, 2017). "'Hamilton' creator: New song a 'love letter to Puerto Rico'". CNN. Retrieved October 6, 2017.
- Gibbs, Adrienne (October 6, 2017). "Lin-Manuel Miranda Joins With Jennifer Lopez and Gloria Estefan In Song For Puerto Rico Relief". Forbes. Retrieved October 6, 2017.
- Diaz, Thatiana (October 4, 2017). "Lin-Manuel Miranda Remaking West Side Story's "Maria" for Puerto Rico". People. Retrieved October 6, 2017.
- Trust, Gary (October 16, 2017). "Lin-Manuel Miranda's 'Almost Like Praying' Debuts as Top-Selling Song of the Week". Billboard. Retrieved October 17, 2017.
- "Hamilton's Lin-Manuel Miranda Releases Salsa Remix of 'Almost Like Praying'". Playbill. Retrieved September 24, 2018.
- Ortiz, Danielle (October 5, 2017). "Lin-Manuel Miranda reveals title of mega-collaboration for Hurricane Relief". Fansided. Retrieved October 6, 2017.
- Feldman, Kate (October 5, 2017). "Lin-Manuel Miranda releases 'Almost Like Praying' benefit single for Puerto Rico with Gloria Estefan, Rita Moreno". New York Daily News. Retrieved October 6, 2017.
- "Lin-Manuel Miranda explains his new song for Puerto Rico, those Trump tweets". USA Today. Retrieved October 7, 2017.
- "Lin-Manuel Miranda debuts star-studded single for Puerto Rico, 'Almost Like Praying' — listen here". Entertainment Weekly. October 6, 2017. Retrieved October 10, 2017.
- "Official Scottish Singles Sales Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved October 14, 2017.
- "Lin-Manuel Miranda Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved October 14, 2017.
- "Lin-Manuel Miranda Chart History (Hot Latin Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved June 19, 2018.