Almost Naked Animals
|Almost Naked Animals|
|Created by||Noah Z. Jones|
|Developed by||Doug Hadders
|Directed by||Brad Ferguson|
|Voices of||Rob Tinkler
|Opening theme||"Almost Naked Animals!"|
|Ending theme||"Almost Naked Animals!" (instrumental)|
|Country of origin||Canada|
|No. of seasons||3|
|No. of episodes||52 (list of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Noah Z. Jones
Mark Satterthwaite (creative producer)
|Running time||22 minutes
(2 11-minute segments)
|Production company(s)||9 Story Media Group|
|Original release||January 7, 2011 – May 22, 2013|
Almost Naked Animals is a Canadian animated television series that is produced for YTV. The series premiered on January 7, 2011 on YTV. The series was created by Noah Z. Jones, who is also the creator of the Disney Channel animated series Fish Hooks. The series ended on May 22, 2013 in Canada.
The cartoon is set inside a tropical resort called the Banana Cabana. All of the cabana's staff members and residents are funny animals who have shaved off their fur and wear only underclothes. A dog named Howie is the manager and leader of the cabana. Each episode follows Howie and his "misfit" crew having unusual adventures in the Banana Cabana.
The series is produced by 9 Story Media Group and produced it for YTV. Noah Z. Jones is the creator of the series, while Brad Ferguson is the director. Executive producers includes Vince Commisso, Steve Jarosz, and Noah Z. Jones. Other staff for the series includes Tristan Homer as producer and Mark Satterthwaite as creative producer.
Development for the series started as early as 2006.
On October 16, 2009, Aaron H. Bynum, news editor of Animation Insider, announced that the series entered production. Vince Commisso, president and CEO of 9 Story Entertainment was pleasantly surprised and charmed for the production of Almost Naked Animals and said: "We are very excited to be commencing production on Almost Naked Animals,". "We spent a great deal of time in development, ensuring the characters, the pacing and the tone of the show was (sic) precise. It is extremely gratifying to see our work come to fruition and the end result is this high-quality, curiously funny animated property."
- Howie (voiced by Rob Tinkler) is a pale-yellow dog and manager of the Banana Cabana. He is hyperactive and impulsive, he's almost always cheerful.
- Octo (voiced by Howard Jerome) is a blue octopus and the desk clerk. He is Howie's best friend.
- Bunny (voiced by Emilie-Claire Barlow) is a short-tempered yellow rabbit and activity planner with a sugary personality (subject to mood swings).
- Duck (voiced by David Berni) is a Tan-colored duck who does every random job and tries anything to get it done. It was revealed in "The Sun Howie Always Wanted", and "Mini Howies" that his full name is Archibald William Nightindale Duck III. As a running gag Duck often appears during a problem with a funny non sequitur. In the episode "What Would Batty Do?" it is revealed he is lactose intolerant.
- Piggy (voiced by Seán Cullen) is a pale pink pig who is a ninja-trained master chef with a Bulgarian accent. He speaks broken English.
- Narwhal (voiced by Seán Cullen) is a self centered, periwinkle-colored narwhal that loves to sing (he is the lounge performer.)
- Sloth (voiced by Linda Kash) is a peach-colored sloth and the bellhop of the Banana Cabana. She has a crush on Howie. She also does everything slowly. She moves around using her luggage cart.
- Poodle (voiced by Alyson Court) Howie's sister who owns a rival hotel called the Chateau Chattoo. She always tries to ruin Howie's fun and tries to take over Howie's hotel.
- Batty (voiced by Julie Lemieux) Poodle's evil minion.
|Season||Start Date||End Date||Number of Episodes|
|1||7 January 2011 (Canada)
13 June 2011 (USA)
|7 December 2011 (Canada)
27 October 2011 (USA)
|2||February 4, 2012 (Canada)
June 4, 2012 (USA)
|July 7, 2012 (Canada)
June 3, 2013(USA)
|3||April 15, 2013 (Canada)
June 4, 2013 (USA)
|May 22, 2013 (Canada)
June 19, 2013 (USA)
The show broadcasts on its original channels YTV and Cartoon Network. It premiered in Canada on January 7, 2011, and in the United States on June 13, 2011. In January 2012, when YTV and Cartoon Network renewed the series, the show aired weekends on Boomerang. Other broadcasters includes CITV in the UK, ABC3 in Australia and RTÉjr in Ireland.
Episodes of Almost Naked Animals are available for digital download through the iTunes Music Store, which are split into two volumes. Roadshow Home Entertainment released a 95-minute Region 4 DVD of the show on December 1, 2011. In 2012 NCircle Entertainment has released videos on DVD for Canada and the US. In the UK Abbey Home Media released episodes on DVD.
Toys and merchandising
The Licensing Shop has signed products in the US market for Almost Naked Animals. Freeze has secured rights for t-shirts, fashion tops and hoodies in all sizes while ABG Accessories will be making cold weather accessories, spring and summer headwear and rainwear including umbrellas and slickers for the show. In 2012 Cafepress agreed to make Almost Naked Animals plushies, water bottles, tshirts, and more merchandise is being made.
In January 2012 it was announced that 9 Story and Game Pill were creating an Almost Naked Animals online game entitled "Cabana Craze." The game was released on September 25, 2012 and can be found at CabanaCraze.com.
In June 2011, Almost Naked Animals was picked as one of People Magazine's top children's shows to watch in the US. Common Sense Media rated the show 3 stars out of 5, with the review stating that "The show's writing is smart enough that adults will get some laughs right alongside their kids". However, it also got negative reviews from viewers, due to the show having "terrible animation" and "half-naked, ugly-looking" characters.
Awards and nominations
|2011||Gemini Awards||Best Writing in a Children's or Youth Program or Series —
"Better Safe and Sorry", written by Seán Cullen
|2013||Canadian Screen Awards||Best Animated Program or Series||Nominated|
|2013||Canadian Screen Awards||Best Direction in an Animated Program or Series —
"The Green Banana", directed by Brad Ferguson
|2013||Canadian Screen Awards||Best Performance in an Animated Program or Series—
"Horn Swoggled", Seán Cullen as Narwhal & Piggy
Almost Naked Animals and two other Canadian cartoons, Sidekick and Scaredy Squirrel, were all added to Cartoon Network in the United States in 2011. In November and December 2011 respectively, Sidekick and Scaredy Squirrel were pulled from the channel (for a hiatus), but Almost Naked Animals was left on. Though many episodes were originally broadcast on YTV in Canada, CN often advertised the episodes as being new episodes (though they were only first-run broadcasts in the United States). Almost Naked Animals has not aired on the Cartoon Network since June 21, 2013, but reruns continue to air on YTV in Canada.
- Almost Naked Animals frolic on CiTV
- 'Almost Naked Animals' Animation Enters Production
- Almost Naked Animals (PG): DVD
- http://www.twitpic.com/5vsewc[better source needed]
- "Best Writing in a Children's or Youth Program or Series". Gemini Awards. Retrieved 18 August 2011.
- "2013 CANADIAN SCREEN AWARDS Television Nominations" (PDF). Canadian Screen Awards. Retrieved 28 January 2012.
- Official website
- Almost Naked Animals at the Internet Movie Database
- Almost Naked Animals at the Big Cartoon DataBase