Alnwick railway station
|Original company||North Eastern Railway|
|Pre-grouping||North Eastern Railway|
|Post-grouping||London and North Eastern Railway
North Eastern Region of British Railways
|19 August 1850||Station opens|
|5 September 1887||Station moved northwards|
|29 January 1968||Station closes|
|Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom|
|Closed railway stations in Britain
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
|UK Railways portal|
Alnwick railway station was the terminus of the Alnwick branch line, which diverged from the East Coast Main Line at Alnmouth in Northumberland, Northern England. The branch opened on 1 October 1850 and closed in January 1968, leaving the former junction at Alnmouth as the nearest station to Alnwick. The station was also the terminus of the Cornhill branch line to Coldstream which closed for passengers in 1930.
Opened by the North Eastern Railway, it became part of the London and North Eastern Railway during the Grouping of 1923. The station then passed on to the North Eastern Region of British Railways on nationalisation in 1948.
The station was then closed by the British Railways Board in 1968. The platforms have been in-filled, but the trainshed remains intact and in use, including by Barter Books. The bookshop was featured in Michael Portillo's 'Great British Railway Journeys' (first broadcast BBC2 - 23/1/2012).
|Preceding station||Disused railways||Following station|
|Terminus||North Eastern Railway
Alnwick branch line
Line closed; station open
Line and station closed
|North Eastern Railway
Cornhill branch line
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-508-7. OCLC 60251199.
- Jowett, Alan (2000). Jowett's Nationalised Railway Atlas (1st ed.). Penryn, Cornwall: Atlantic Transport Publishers. ISBN 978-0-906899-99-1. OCLC 228266687.
- Jowett, Alan (March 1989). Jowett's Railway Atlas of Great Britain and Ireland: From Pre-Grouping to the Present Day (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-086-0. OCLC 22311137.
- John Scott - Morgan. British Independent Light Railways. David & Charles 1980. ISBN 0-7153-7933-X
- "Northumbrian Railways".
- "Sub Brit Page".
- "RAILSCOT on Alnwick Branch (York, Newcastle and Berwick Railway)".
- "RAILSCOT on Cornhill Branch (North Eastern Railway)".
- "Aln Valley Railway Society".
- The station on navigable O.S. map
|This article on a railway station in North East England is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|