This article may rely excessively on sources too closely associated with the subject, potentially preventing the article from being verifiable and neutral. (September 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Alon Cohen (born in Israel, 1962) is the co-founder of VocalTec Inc. (1989) and the co-inventor of the Audio Transceiver (U.S. Patent 5,825,771) that enabled the creation of Voice Over Networks products and eventually the VoIP industry. Cohen holds 4 US patents on different communications technologies. He is currently Executive VP and CTO at Phone.com.
In 1989, Cohen and Lior Haramaty founded VocalTec Communications Inc. in Herzliya, Israel. The tech company is now recognized as the pioneer of the VoIP industry. They released the first internet phone in February 1995. He is also the inventor of the Audio Transceiver (U.S. Patent 5,825,771) that enabled the creation of Voice Over Networks products and eventually the VoIP industry. Cohen holds 5 US patents on communications technologies. VocalTec is recognized as the first company to provide Internet voice technology worldwide, and in 1996 was one of the earliest Internet IPOs (NASDAQ: vocl).
After leaving VocalTec Cohen founded and managed a series of business ventures, including BitWine and RemoteAbility. He currently serves as Executive Vice President and CTO at Phone.com.
Cohen is a frequent speaker at top industry conferences, serves on technical advisory boards or as a mentor of several companies and is also an expert witness in VoIP patent litigation trials.
Cohen also has an active blog where he writes about technology and innovations.
Awards and honors
The recipient of many awards and accolades for his innovative work including the “VoIP Visionary Award]” (2005) from Jeff Pulver's Pulvermedia and the VoIP Hall of Fame Award by TMCNET in 2015. Cohen was also named, by “The Marker”, the leading Israeli Business Newspaper, as one of the “100 Most Influential Israelis” in Israel’s High Technology history in September 2005.
Cohen represented the State of Israel in the United Nations negotiations of the ITU Study Group 16 for the development and ratification of global VoIP standards.
Cohen also holds 5 US patents on different communications technologies and co authored more as part of VocalTec.
Cohen resides in New Jersey with his wife and two sons.
- "The Voice over IP Insurrection". GIGAOM, Om Malik, Sep. 19, 2004
- Goldstein, Phil (2017-06-16). "The New Fathers of Technology: 6 Men Whose Innovations Shape Our World". Technology Solutions That Drive Business. Retrieved 2018-03-30.
- Sun, Lingfen; Mkwawa, Is-Haka; Jammeh, Emmanuel; Ifeachor, Emmanuel (2013-01-12). Guide to Voice and Video over IP: For Fixed and Mobile Networks. Springer Science & Business Media. p. 1. ISBN 9781447149057.
- Middleton, James (December 30, 2010). "Voice Over IP: Setting Phone Service Free". IEEE Spectrum: Technology, Engineering, and Science News. Retrieved 2018-03-30.
- Solomon; Kim, David (October 2011). Fundamentals of Communications and Networking. Jones & Bartlett Publishers. p. 284. ISBN 9781449649173.
- "Voice Over IP: Setting Phone Service Free". Spectrum IEEE, James Middleton, 30 Dec 2010
- Radizeski, Peter (January 29, 2015). "Things You May Have Missed at ITEXPO". On Rad's Radar?. TMCNET. Retrieved 2018-03-30.