Alone in the Dark: Illumination
This article needs to be updated.May 2015)(
|Alone in the Dark: Illumination|
|Series||Alone in the Dark|
|Engine||Unreal Engine 4|
|Release||June 11, 2015|
Alone in the Dark: Illumination is the sixth installment of the survival horror video game series under the same title by Atari Interactive. The game is developed by Pure FPS for Windows and is the series' first installment to be played online and in a cooperative setting. This game was panned heavily.
The game is an up-to-four player cooperative experience with four distinct player characters working together to solve a mystery in an action-horror setting. Some characters wield firearms whereas as others use magical abilities. Players will make their way through levels with randomly generated elements such as enemy locations, locked doors, or even room layouts to make their way to a safety vault at the end of the level. Throughout it, the players will have to fight off various types of enemies by means of firepower and creating light-sources to defeat them.
The game brings players to the abandoned town of Lorwich, Virginia. Located near Virginia’s southern border, Lorwich was a flourishing industrial town with a bustling business generated by the local mines. Those prosperous days came to an end when a flood devastated the mining facility, leaving behind nothing but destruction in its wake. The disaster forced an immediate evacuation, leaving the town desolate. It has been years since the accident, and the town has long been forgotten.
The cause of the accident is still a mystery and, years later, nobody dares to step a foot in the town for fear of what lies there. There have been numerous reports of strange creatures and a dark, brooding fog within the town. Some locals who believe in the supernatural say that there lurks an ever-present force known as The Darkness. The Darkness is said to envelop everything in its path, and can reveal itself in many ways, such as fog, apparitions, and creatures.
There are four player characters:
- Theodore "Ted" Carnby (The Hunter) is a direct descendant of Edward Carnby, the male protagonist of the original Alone in the Dark and three of the sequels. He is actually implied to be the original Edward Carnby living under an assumed identity, still alive in the modern era due to the events of the 2008 Alone in the Dark game. He carries 3 automatic weapons as his primary weapons, namely a AK-47, M4, and P90. He also has a flamethrower attached to each primary weapon that can be used to burn enemies, making them vulnerable to damage. His secondary weapon are a pair of revolvers, which fire more slowly than the other characters' secondary weapons.
- Celeste, born Sara Hartwood (The Witch) is the great granddaughter of Emily Hartwood, the female protagonist of the original game. She is a member of a coven of witches, who has come to Lorwich searching for 3 of her missing comrades. She fights with a pistol as well as a number of magical abilities, such as throwing a bolt of lightning, enchanting light sources so that they burn nearby enemies, and firing a wave of electricity that travels along the ground. She can also release an area-of-effect electrical burst that deals moderate damage and will activate any nearby electrical light sources.
- Gabriella Saunders (The Engineer) is a new character with no connection to previous games. She is a young woman who has come to Lorwich searching for her missing miner father. Besides her pistol sidearm, her primary weapons are a double-barreled shotgun, a tesla coil device that can be placed on the ground to damage nearby enemies, and a throwing disc that can be triggered to explode. She can also repair electrical light sources after they shut down.
- Father Henry Giger (The Priest) is another new character with no connection to prior characters in the series. He is a Catholic priest who has been sent by the Vatican to investigate the town of Lorwich. He dual-wields a pair of pistols, and can also use a number of holy abilities, such as firing an energy-imbued bullet that stuns an enemy and turns it into a light source, summoning a beam of light from the sky which explodes, and creating a fiery explosion around himself. His melee attacks also set enemies on fire and leave them vulnerable to damage.
The game has been in development by Pure FPS under the name Alone in the Dark for an indeterminate time. Originally prepared for announcement in May 2014, the announcement was delayed until August 20, 2014, during PAX East of the same year. The official YouTube channel suggested that the original name for the game would have been Alone in the Dark: Online before settling on the final title. The game entered a closed alpha test in mid-August 2014 and entered beta later in fall. Beta access was available for a limited time to players who pre-ordered the title from select retailers. The game was released on June 11, 2015.
Alone in the Dark: Illumination received universally negative reviews. It received an aggregated score of 18.75% on GameRankings based on 4 reviews and 19/100 on Metacritic based on 12 reviews. It is also ranked as the lowest-scoring game of 2015 out of all titles with at least 7 reviews from professional critics by Metacritic.
- "Alone in the Dark: Illumination's Official Website". August 31, 2014. Retrieved 2014-08-31.
- "Joystiq's Preview of Alone in the Dark: Illumination at PAX East 2014". September 3, 2014. Retrieved 2014-09-03.
- "Alone in the Dark: Illumination's Official Website". August 20, 2014. Retrieved 2014-08-20.
- Belland, Christian (June 11, 2015). "Alone in the Dark: Illumination: Last One To Die Turn Off The Lights". Game Informer. Retrieved June 12, 2015.
- "The 10 Worst Video Games of 2015". Metacritic. Retrieved December 21, 2015.
- "Alone in the Dark: Illumination for PC". GameRankings. Retrieved July 13, 2015.
- "Alone in the Dark: Illumination for PC Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved July 13, 2015.