Along Came a Spider (album)
|Along Came A Spider|
|Studio album by Alice Cooper|
|Released||July 29, 2008|
|Recorded||2007 – 2008|
|Genre||Hard rock, Heavy metal|
|Producer||Greg Hampton & Danny Saber|
|Alice Cooper chronology|
Along Came a Spider is the twenty-fifth studio album by singer-songwriter Alice Cooper, released on July 2008 by Steamhammer/SPV. A hard rock/heavy metal concept album, it chronicles the activities of a psychopathic serial killer known as 'Spider' and the eventual undoing of his plans. A commercial success, it ended up becoming Cooper's highest-charting studio effort in the United States since Hey Stoopid (1991).
Background and release
The story-line for the concept album was first revealed on Cooper's radio show Nights with Alice Cooper. The theme of the album revolves around a "cool, calm and collected" serial killer known as 'Spider'. The police are baffled by the bodies of Spider's victims, which are cocooned in a silk web, and are each missing a leg. Spider's task is to collect eight legs in order to complete the construction of his own spider. However, things get complicated when he falls in love with his eighth victim. At the end of the album an internal voice is heard telling 'Spider' that 'We've been locked away here for twenty five years Steven, we couldn't have done all those horrible things' thus revealing Spider as the character Steven from Welcome To My Nightmare.
Along Came a Spider was due for a 2007 release but problems with producer scheduling and tour commitments caused it to be pushed to mid-2008. Several demos and songs were prepared and short-listed during 2007 with further sessions for recording and writing taking place in February 2008. 75% of the album had been completed as of April 18, 2008. Cooper also planned to create a second part to the album, entitled 'The Night Shift,' but decided to make Welcome 2 My Nightmare instead.
The release has earned mixed to positive reviews from various publications. For example, music critic David Jeffries of Allmusic stated that, even though Cooper had produced better concept albums before, in Along Came a Spider the artist "fills his lyrics with clever and gruesome wordplay". A review from Blabbermouth.net praised the release as "yet another example of an album made by an elder rock icon that manages to sound fresh and relevant".
|1.||"Prologue / I Know Where You Live"||Alice Cooper, Danny Saber, Greg Hampton||4:21|
|2.||"Vengeance Is Mine" (feat. Slash)||Cooper, Saber, Hampton||4:26|
|3.||"Wake the Dead" (feat. Ozzy Osbourne)||Cooper, Saber, Ozzy Osbourne||3:53|
|4.||"Catch Me If You Can"||Cooper, Saber, Hampton||3:15|
|5.||"(In Touch With) Your Feminine Side"||Cooper, Chuck Garric, Keri Kelli, Damon Johnson||3:16|
|6.||"Wrapped in Silk"||Cooper, Saber, Hampton||4:17|
|7.||"Killed by Love"||Cooper, Garric, Kelli, James Bacchi||3:34|
|8.||"I'm Hungry"||Cooper, Saber, Hampton||3:58|
|9.||"The One That Got Away"||Cooper, Kelli, Jani Lane||3:21|
|10.||"Salvation"||Cooper, Saber, Hampton, Bernard Fowler||4:36|
|11.||"I Am the Spider / Epilogue"||Cooper, Saber, Hampton||5:21|
|2010 Re-release / iTunes bonus tracks|
|12.||"Shadow of Yourself"||Cooper, Saber, Hampton||3:29|
|13.||"I'll Still Be There"||Cooper, Saber, Hampton||3:50|
|14.||"Salvation" (Unplugged with string section)||Cooper, Saber, Hampton, Fowler||4:46|
- As with a large portion of Cooper's back-catalogue being remastered and re-released through various distribution channels, Along Came A Spider has also received the same treatment. Re-released on CD in 2010, and distributed by Bigger Picture, it includes the three iTunes-only bonus tracks originally released alongside the album in 2008:
Unlike Dragontown, The Eyes of Alice Cooper, and Dirty Diamonds, a music video was created to promote Along Came a Spider. Released on October 2, 2008, and directed by Rob Zombie bassist, Piggy D and Gabrielle Geiselman, the 10-minute-long music video stars Alice Cooper, Slash, Hazmat, Roxxi Dott, Howie Pyro, Dave Pino, Eric Singer and Peter Derek. It features a medley of three songs from the album: "Vengeance Is Mine", "(In Touch With Your) Feminine Side", and "Killed By Love".
- Alice Cooper – lead and backing vocals
- Danny Saber – lead guitar, bass, keyboards, backing vocals
- Greg Hampton – lead guitars, keyboards, backing vocals
- Chuck Garric – bass, backing vocals
- Eric Singer – drums
- Keri Kelli – guitars (5, 7 and 9)
- Jason Hook – guitars (5)
- Slash – lead guitar (2)
- David Piribauer – drums (8 and 10)
|US Billboard 200||53|
|Austrian Albums Chart||37|
|Dutch Albums Chart||76|
|Canadian Albums Chart||19|
|Finnish Albums Chart||31|
|French Albums Chart||101|
|German Albums Chart||26|
|Norwegian Albums Chart||33|
|Swedish Albums Chart||25|
|Swiss Albums Chart||37|
|UK Albums Chart||31|
- Allmusic review
- Jukebox:Metal review
- Rolling Stone review
- Cooper speaking to the Sydney Morning Herald in 2007
- Alice Cooper Receives MusiCares MAP Fund Award
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-03-18. Retrieved 2011-03-14.
- "Alice Cooper – Charts & Awards – Billboard Albums" Allmusic. Retrieved on August 10, 2009.
- "Austrian Album Charts Search for Alice Cooper" Austriancharts.at. Retrieved on August 10, 2009.
- DutchCharts.nl. Retrieved on August 10, 2009.
- "Finnish Album Charts Search for Alice Cooper" FinnishCharts.com. Retrieved on August 10, 2009.
- "French Album Charts Search for Alice Cooper" lescharts.com. Retrieved on August 10, 2009.
- "German Album Charts Search for Alice Cooper" musicline.de. Retrieved on August 10, 2009.
- "Norwegian Album Charts Search for Alice Cooper" NorwegianCharts.com. Retrieved on August 10, 2009.
- "Swedish Album Charts Search for Alice Cooper" SwedishCharts.com. Retrieved on August 10, 2009.
- "Swiss Album Charts Search for Alice Cooper" HitParade.ch. Retrieved on August 10, 2009.
- "UK Chart Logs Search for C" Zobbel. Retrieved on August 10, 2009.