|Years active||1981 - Present|
|Awards||Doris Duke Performing Artist Award, 2015; San Francisco Museum & Historical Society San Francisco Treasure Award, 2012; Jacob's Pillow Dance Creativity Award, 2008; Bessie Award for Choreographer/Creator, 2005; Kennedy Center Master of Choreography, 2005|
Alonzo King, born in Georgia to civil-rights activists Slater King and Valencia King Nelson, is an American dancer and choreographer based in San Francisco. King, who was raised in California, completed dance training at New York based ballet schools and performed with The Dance Theater of Harlem and other dance companies until 1980/1981.
Alonzo King LINES Ballet
In 1982, upon relocating back to California, King founded LINES Ballet, which premiered at the San Francisco State's McKenna Theater. LINES Ballet performs home season at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco; and also maintains an international touring schedule including a recent set of performances in Hong Kong of The Propelled Heart in September 2017.
Awards and Recognition
King is the recipient of numerous awards including an NEA choreographic fellowship, San Francisco Mayor's Award, a Jacob's Pillow Creativity Award, and Kennedy Center Master of Choreography which was awarded in 2005. In addition to his work for LINES Ballet, King's choreography is also in the repertoire of other dance companies including The Royal Swedish Ballet, Ballet Frankfurt, Ballet Béjart, Les Ballets de Monte-Carlo, Joffrey Ballet, Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, Hong Kong Ballet, North Carolina Dance Theatre, and Hubbard Street Dance Chicago.
- 2013: Meyer
- 2012: AZIMUTH, Constellation
- 2011: Resin, Figures of Thought
- 2010: Writing Ground, Wheel in the Middle of the Field
- 2009: Scheherazade, Refraction, Dust and Light
- 2008: The Radius of Convergence, The Steady Articulation of Perseverance
- 2007: Rasa, Irregular Pearl, Long River, High Sky
- 2006: Sky Clad, Migration
- 2005: The Moroccan Project, Handel, Salt, Odd Fellow, Satoh
- 2004: Before the Blues, Rite of Spring, Baker Fix, Coleman Hawkins, The Patience of Aridity, Waiting for Petrichor
- 2003: Heart Song, Syzmanski's Vibraphone Quartet
- 2002: Road, Splash, Koto
- 2001: The People of the Forest, The Heart's Natural Inclination
- 2000: Following the Subtle Current Upstream, Soothing the Enemy, Riley, Tango, In to Get Out
- 1999: Shostokovich String Quartet
- 1998: Hovering Slightly Above Ground, Who Dressed You Like a Foreigner?, Tarab, Long Straight Line, Map, Land Forms
- 1997: String Trio, Suite Etta, Three Stops On the Way Home, Handel Trio
- 1996: Klang, Sacred Text, Handel Pas de Deux, Ground
- 1995: Signs and Wonders, Rock, String Quartet
- 1994: Poulenc Pas de Deux, Ocean, Along the Path
- 1993: Bach Cello Suite, Compelling Geological Evidence, Pavane
- 1992: Gurdjieff Piano Music
- 1991: Song of the Aka, Cante
- 1990: Without Wax, Toccatta in D Minor
- 1989: Lila, Fallen Angel
- 1988: Awake in the Dream, Ligeti Variations, Reoccurrence
- 1987: Rain Dreaming, Granados Pas de Deux
- 1986: Prayer, Stealing Light
- 1983: Ictus
- Cynthia Bond Perry (January 1, 2017). "For the first time, celebrated choreographer Alonzo King brings his ballet company to his home state". The Atlanta Magazine. Retrieved October 24, 2017.
- Molly Glentzer (May 2, 2014). "Meet: Alonzo King, LINES choreographer". Chron. Retrieved October 24, 2017.
- Valerie Gladstone (January 22, 2010). "Meet: The message is in the MOVEMENT - Alonzo King's dances reflect a world of influences". Boston.com. Retrieved October 24, 2017.
- "For choreographer Alonzo King, the message is in the movement - The Boston Globe". Boston.com. January 22, 2010. Retrieved February 18, 2014.
- Elizabeth Kramer (January 28, 2017). "Alonzo King Lines Ballet brings tension, beauty - Review". Courier Journal. Retrieved October 24, 2017.
- Jessica Yang (October 12, 2017). "Through sound and shape: Alonzo King LINES Ballet performance". The Phoenix. Retrieved October 24, 2017.
- Andrew Gilbert (May 2, 2017). "Choreographer Alonzo King sets new work to crisis of vanishing words". The Mercury News. Retrieved October 24, 2017.
- Natasha Rogai (September 4, 2017). "Arts review: The Propelled Heart – Lisa Fischer shines with Alonzo King Lines Ballet from Frisco - Translating an Indian guru's philosophical concept into choreography was a tough challenge, but the energetic dancers match Fischer's vocals wonderfully". South China Morning Post. Retrieved October 24, 2017.
- "Alonzo King LINES Ballet Announces Spring Season, 5/4-14". Broadway World. March 1, 2017. Retrieved October 24, 2017.
- "Alonzo King LINES Ballet infuses classical dance traditions with bold movement". Virginia Tech News. March 14, 2016. Retrieved October 24, 2017.
- Mandy Prather (January 9, 2017). "Alonzo King LINES Ballet performs in Danville during two-day residency". The Advocate-Messenger. Retrieved October 24, 2017.
- Jennifer Homans (August 2, 2012). "Meet: The Universalist". New Republic Magazine. Retrieved October 24, 2017.
- Zan Dubin (March 19, 1994). "Meet: Alonzo King's Intersecting LINES : Dance: The choreographer, whose troupe is at the Irvine Barclay Theatre tonight, is interested in what unites people". LA Times. Retrieved October 24, 2017.
- "Choreographic Work". LINES Ballet. Retrieved July 2, 2013.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Alonzo King|