Alonzo and Tracy Mourning Senior High Biscayne Bay Campus
|Alonzo and Tracy Mourning Senior High Biscayne Bay Campus|
|2601 NE 151 Street
North Miami, Florida 33160
|School type||Public, high school|
|School district||Miami-Dade County Public Schools|
Alonzo and Tracy Mourning Sr. High Biscayne Bay Campus is a secondary school in North Miami, Florida, United States which opened August 2009, located two blocks north of Florida International University's Biscayne Bay Campus. It is part of the Miami-Dade County Public Schools system. It was built to relieve overcrowding at nearby Dr. Michael M Krop and North Miami Beach high schools. The school is named after Alonzo Mourning, former player for the Miami Heat basketball team, and his wife Tracy.
In 2009 the MDCPS school board voted for the name of this school, considering the Mournings and former Attorney General of the United States Janet Reno. The school was named after the Mournings due to their assistance to the area schools; some members of the Cuban community in Miami disliked Reno as they disagreed with her handling of the Elian Gonzalez case.
It was scheduled to open on Monday August 24, 2009. Initially it was to have about 600 students in grades 9 and 10 with grades 11 and 12 being phased in over the following two years, and 36 teachers. Sally Alayon was the school's first principal. The student population was planned to be around 1,600 in all.
The building is four stories tall.
In 2009, the head of the school's English department, Melissa Keller, stated that Mourning's book, Resilience: Faith, Focus, Triumph, would be a part of the curriculum.
It has not been a part of the curriculum in recent years.
Since 2009, Mourning High's student body has been 35% White non-Hispanic, 33% Hispanic (of any race), and 32% Black.
Any clothing worn over a uniform shirt (i.e. a jacket or a coat) is required to be a school color — blue, grey, or white. Black is not permitted.
Uniformed shirts and outerwear are sold on-campus.
- "Alonzo and Tracy Mourning Senior High." Mourning Family Foundation. Retrieved on July 23, 2016.
- Teproff, Carli. "Mournings see their school." Miami Herald. Friday August 21, 2009.
- "Committee chooses to honor Mourning." Associated Press at ESPN. June 18, 2009. Retrieved on July 23, 2016. Also at BET.
- "[dead link]. Alonzo and Tracy Mourning Senior High Biscayne Bay Campus. Retrieved on May 6, 2012.
- "Mandatory Uniform policy." Alonzo and Tracy Mourning Senior High Biscayne Bay Campus. Retrieved on September 28, 2009.