Weetabix cereals in the U.K. created Alpen muesli cereal in the late 1960s as a reaction to the natural, organic and environmental movements sweeping the U.S. and UK. Alpen is a whole grain muesli cereal based on rolled oats, fruits and nuts with no preservatives or artificial flavours or colours.
In the U.K., Alpen has been a staple on British shelves since the 1970s and it appeared in the early 1970s in Canada and then in the US in the 1990s after Weetabix established a partnership with natural foods manufacturer, Barbara's Bakery.
In the U.S. today, Alpen No Added Sugar and Alpen Original are mainstays in U.S. natural food stores and Canadian grocery stores. In the UK, Weetabix sells Alpen in four varieties. Alpen is exported to other countries in several varieties.
Related cereals and products
In the U.K., Alpen has created several varieties, including:
- Alpen Original
- Alpen Original (No Added Sugar)
- Alpen High Fruit
- Alpen High Fibre
In both the U.S.and Canada, Alpen varieties are:
- Alpen Original
- Alpen No Added Sugar
- New Alpen Apple Spice was introduced in Canada in 2010, featuring three whole grains, apples, toasted soy nuggets and flax seed, with 500 mg of Omega ALA.
As of December 2009, the U.S. Alpens were reformulated to an all-natural formula, discontinuing the use of added vitamins, minerals and organic grains.
In the past, several non-muesli Alpen cereals debuted under the Alpen brand. While most of these cereals have undergone changes in name only, here is a list of cereals which at one were in the Alpen division of Weetabix, along with date of name change.
- Alpen Wheat Flakes (formerly Advantage cereal) — 2004
- Alpen Crunchy Bran (formerly Crunchy Bran cereal) — 2004
As a brand extension and a reaction to consumer appetite for whole grain snacks, Weetabix introduced Alpen whole grain cereal bars, which include varieties of several fruit flavours. As of February 2012, these include:
- Strawberry & Yogurt (Red)
- Raspberry & Yoghurt (Pink)
- Fruit & Nut (Green)
- Fruit & Nut with Chocolate (Brown)
- Coconut with Chocolate (Blue)
- Apricot & Yoghurt (New for 2012)
- Summer Fruit (Light Variant)
- Chocolate & Fudge (Light Variant)
- Chocolate & Orange (Light Variant)
- Apple & Sultana (Light Variant)
- Double Chocolate (Light Variant
- Cherry Bakewell (Light Variant - New for 2012)
Sugar and whey content
- "Alpen Original from Weetabix: Wholegrain, tasty goodness.". www.weetabix.co.uk. Archived from the original on 28 March 2008. Retrieved 2008-04-20.