Alpena Township, Michigan
|Alpena Township, Michigan|
|• Total||141.2 sq mi (365.7 km2)|
|• Land||104.4 sq mi (270.5 km2)|
|• Water||36.8 sq mi (95.2 km2)|
|Elevation||627 ft (191 m)|
|• Density||87/sq mi (33.5/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1625833|
The city of Alpena is surrounded by the township, but is administratively autonomous. There are no other incorporated municipalities.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 141.2 square miles (365.7 km2), of which 104.4 square miles (270.5 km2) is land and 36.8 square miles (95.2 km2), or 26.03%, is water, consisting of near-shore waters of Lake Huron, various inland lakes, and a stretch of the Thunder Bay River. Half of Long Lake occupies the northern portion of the township.
As of the census of 2000, there were 9,788 people, 4,037 households, and 2,858 families residing in the township. The population density was 93.2 per square mile (36.0/km²). There were 4,757 housing units at an average density of 45.3 per square mile (17.5/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 98.39% White, 0.10% African American, 0.43% Native American, 0.42% Asian, 0.11% from other races, and 0.55% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.56% of the population.
There were 4,037 households out of which 28.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 58.8% were married couples living together, 8.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 29.2% were non-families. 25.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.39 and the average family size was 2.84.
In the township the population was spread out with 22.6% under the age of 18, 6.9% from 18 to 24, 26.0% from 25 to 44, 27.8% from 45 to 64, and 16.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females there were 93.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 91.7 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $39,889, and the median income for a family was $46,181. Males had a median income of $34,930 versus $22,813 for females. The per capita income for the township was $18,779. About 5.5% of families and 8.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 9.1% of those under age 18 and 6.7% of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Alpena Township, Michigan
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Alpena township, Alpena County, Michigan". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved June 10, 2013.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Lakewood, Michigan
- Romig, Walter (1986) . Michigan Place Names. Detroit, Michigan: Wayne State University Press. ISBN 0-8143-1838-X.
- Alpena Township official website
- Clarke Historical Library, Central Michigan University, Bibliography on Alpena County