Alpha Delta Chi
|Alpha Delta Chi|
(92 years ago)|
University of California, Los Angeles
|Motto||As in a Mirror|
Alpha Delta Chi was founded in 1925 at the University of California, Los Angeles by ten women. Their vision was to create a place where Christian women could participate in Greek life without compromising their beliefs, build strong friendships, and most of all, they wanted to create a place which would mirror Christ's love to their community. The sorority was originally named Areta, which means virtue. The sorority's purpose is to provide fellowship for Christian college women, to strengthen the spiritual lives of its members, to be a testimony for Christ on each campus.
In 1929, Karin Anderson Dyer and Edith Bishop McAulay, two members of the Alpha chapter of Areta, were attending the University of California, Berkeley as graduate students. The two saw a need for the sorority and with the help of the Alpha Chapter, they organized the Beta Chapter on February 4, 1929.
The first annual convention of Alpha Delta Chi was held in Berkeley, California, on April 6–7, 1939. At this meeting the National Association of Areta and the National Executive and Advisory Board were formed. The original name of the National Fraternity, Areta, was changed to Alpha Delta Chi at the June 1943 National Convention.
A.D.X. currently has 18 active chapters across the nation, the newest of which is the Alpha Beta chapter at the University of Denver.
"For we all with unveiled face, reflecting as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are transformed into the same image, from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord." 2 Corinthians 3:18
The Aims and Purposes of A.D.X.
- To strengthen the SPIRITUAL lives and testimonies of the members of the National Fraternity resulting in service and outreach to others.
- To promote higher SCHOLASTIC standards among the members of the National Fraternity.
- To provide SOCIAL fellowship among the university students living the Christian life and active in Christ's service.
List of Chapters
- National Board
- Alpha - UCLA active
- Beta - UC Berkeley active
- Gamma - California State University, Los Angeles inactive
- Delta - San Diego State University active
- Epsilon - University of Southern California active
- Zeta - California State University, Long Beach active
- Eta - California State University, Northridge inactive
- Theta - California State University, Fresno active
- Iota - UC Santa Barbara inactive
- Kappa - Murray State University inactive
- Lamda does not exist
- Mu - Cal Poly San Luis Obispo active
- Nu - UC Davis inactive
- Xi - Illinois State University inactive
- Omicron - UC Irvine inactive
- Pi - University of Colorado at Boulder active
- Rho - University of Cincinnati inactive
- Sigma - Georgia Institute of Technology active
- Tau - University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa active
- Upsilon - University of Arkansas inactive
- Phi - Azusa Pacific University inactive
- Chi - Georgia Southern University active
- Psi - University of North Alabama active
- Omega - Colorado State University active
- Alpha Alpha - Seton Hall University active
- Alpha Beta - University of Denver active