|Launched||27 September 1999|
|Owned by||Dimitris Kontominas|
|Picture format||16:9 (576i, SDTV)|
|Audience share||15,5% (6/10/2014 to 12/10/2014, AGB)|
|Formerly called||Skai and A-Sky|
|DVB-T||Channel 46, 24|
|NOVA Greece||Channel 109|
|OTE TV||Channel 110|
Alpha TV is a Greek terrestrial channel. It is one of the three biggest TV stations in Greece, after ANT1 and Mega. The station features a mix of Greek and foreign shows with an emphasis on information. The studios are located near Athens. Alpha TV is owned by Alpha Satellite Television S.A. 100% shareholder of which is the Alpha Media Group Ltd., a member of the DEMCO Group of Companies.
When the channel was called Skai TV, was written using Greek letters. It was Latinized and changed to a blue font in 1999, when Kontominas bought it from Ioannis Alafouzos. In September 1999, it became Alpha-Sky before changing to its present name in October of the same year. The logo was retained despite the changes in the channel's name. In 2006, the logo was changed to Alpha, the first letter of the Greek alphabet, to reflect the channel's popularity. The font letters in 2003 changed and a circle was added over Alpha, but the two As (alphas) remain. In 2005, a new version was introduced and is coloured with red. The logo and was updated prior to the launch of the 2007-2008 season.
In September 2008, Dimitris Kontominas sold a majority share (66.6%) of Alpha TV and Alpha Radio to Luxembourg media company RTL Group. Kontominas will continue to be involved with Alpha as he still owns 33.4% and has been named president of the new holding company called Alpha Media Group.
In March 2009, the company made significant changes to the news programming output. The afternoon news show has been cut to 15 minutes in duration and now airs at 13:00. The main evening news has also moved from the highly competitive slot of 20:00 and instead broadcasts at 19:00.
On 5 January 2012, RTL Group announced that they had reached an agreement to sell their share to minority owner Dimitris Kontominas, making him once again full owner of the channel. The deal was finalized by the end of the first quarter of 2012, and in March 2013, Bertelsmann said that they had divested Alpha TV.
- 1993: Skai TV was launched to compete with Mega Channel and ANT1 similar to ERT Channels. It began broadcasting with a heavy emphasis on news and sports. At the time, its sister station was the #1 ranked radio station in Athens, Skai 100.3 (then called Skai 100.4 FM).
- 1994: Skai TV began to exchange family/children's programmes from Star Channel with Alpha's children's programming.
- 1999: Skai TV sold, renamed Alpha Sky and later A-Sky during a transition period.
- 1999: Renamed to Alpha TV.
- 2005: Alpha TV begins broadcast of Alpha Australia, the international network of Alpha and signs up with UBI World TV to make Alpha Australia available in Australia as well as the Asia - Africa.
- 2007: Alpha TV launches its channel Alpha Sat into North America on DirecTV.
- 2008: Alpha Australia debuts in New Zealand via UBI World TV.
- 2008: Alpha TV & Alpha Radio are sold to RTL Group, who now control majority share in the company.
- 2012: RTL Group sell their share to Dimitris Kontominas, giving him full control of the channel.
Current programing for the 2014-2015 broadcasting season include: (As of October 2014)
News and information
- Alpha Eidisis (Alpha News) - Daily newscast in Greek featuring news from Greece and around the world. Airs Mon-Fri at 12:00 and 19:00 & on the weekends at 14:00 & 19:00. Hosted by Maria Nikoltsiou and Efi Alevizou (M-F @ 13:00 & weekends @ 14:00), Antonis Sroiter (M-F @ 19:00) and Nikos Manesis (Weekends @ 19:00).
- Proini Enimerosi Alpha (Morning news Alpha) - Weekend morning news program hosted by Spiros Haritatos.
- 360° - Documentary series in its second season hosted by Sofia Papaioannou.
- 60' Ellada (60' Greece) - Documentary series traveling throughout Greece showcasing everyday life in different parts of the country. Hosted by Nikos Manesis and in its third season.
- Aftopsia (Autopsy) - Current affairs talk show with focus on social and political issues. Hosted by Antonis Sroiter.
- Happy Day ston Alpha (Happy day on Alpha) - Morning show hosted by Stamatina Tsimtili.
- Spiti Mou, Spitaki Mou (Home sweet home) - Weekend morning show, informative and entertaining. Hosted by Konstantina Spyropoulou; airs Saturday & Sunday at 10:00.
- Eleni (Helen) - Variety/lifestyle show featuring entertainment as well as segments on cooking, health, astrology, lifestyle, youth issues and more. Hosted by well-known presenter Eleni Menegaki. Airs Monday - Friday at 13:00.
- Ola Paizoun (It all plays) - Airs Monday - Friday at 16:00.
- Fos Sto Tounel (Light in the tunnel) - Informative series that focuses on finding missing persons. In its nineteenth season and hosted by Aggeliki Nikolouli; airs Fridays at 23:15.
- Pame Paketo (Idiom meaning "we are always together") - popular talk show now in its tenth, that deals with human interest stories such as reuniting people, fulfilling dreams and connecting individuals who want to correct past mistakes in their lives. Hosted by Viki Xatzivasileiou. Airs Thursdays at 21:00.
- ANNITAgr - talkshow in its first season and hosted by Annita Pannia; featuring news from Greece and abroad and presented in Annita's unique way.
- Apo Allo Anekthoto (Of another joke) - adult animated sitcom in its first season.
- Min Arhizeis Ti Mourmoura (Do not start the grumbling) - family comedy series in its second season.
- To Soi Sou (Your clan) - comedy series in its first season, coming November 2014.
- Akou Ti Eipan! (Listen to what they said!) - Greek version of Family Feud hosted by Christos Ferentinos.
- Akou Ti Eipan! Vradiatika (Listen to what they said! Nightly) - primetime version of same show, hosted by Christos Ferentinos.
- Al Tsantiri News - a highly successful live satirical comedy show on its tenth season that features Lakis Lazopoulos giving his version of the news. Airs Tuesdays at 21:00.
- Ellinofreneia - satirical comedy show. Airs Monday and Tuesday at 21:00.
- World Party (Reloaded) - worldwide travel show hosted by Sakis Tanimanidis and Giorgos Mavridis.
- Kati Psinetai (Something is cooking) - Daily cooking competition show. Over five consecutive days each of the 5 contestants gets to cook a three course dinner of their choice. The aim of the game is to serve the perfect meal. Each cook gathers points and at the end of the week the one with the most points wins.
- Mastoremata (DIY) - Do it yourself style show.
- Nostimi Gi (Delicious earth) - culinary show hosted by Vasilis Kallidis that travels around Greece.
- Stars System - Asi Mpiliou tells what the stars predict for life and future, with a lot of informations on the astrological predictions for the following week and month, famous personalities step by to talk about personal stuff and astrological questions, airs Saturdays at 14:00 and in its eighth season.
- Stin Igea Mas Re Paidia - popular music variety show hosted by Spiros Papadopoulos and in its eleventh season.
- Formula One - Car racing
Alpha Sat is the international service of Alpha TV that broadcasts 'the best of Alpha' to audiences in Asia, Africa, Australia / New Zealand and North America. Alpha Sat launched in Australia in August 2005 and in 2008 in New Zealand and is available via UBI World TV. In June 2012, UBI World TV ceased operations, as a result Alpha Sat was temporarily unavailable to viewers in Australia.
In January 2013, the channel re-launched via TV Plus, an upstart satellite provider.
On 14 May 2013, Alpha Sat was officially added to the CRTC's approved list of foreign services, allowing the channel to expand into Canada. Odyssey Television Network, who sponsored the application to get Alpha Sat on the approved list, is the official Canadian distributor of the channel.
- Theodore Andreadis Syngellakis
- Dimos Verikios
- Antonis Sroiter
- Nikos Manesis
- "RTL Group to exit Greek broadcasting market".
- "Bertelsmann is growing and progressing in reshaping the Group". Bertelsmann. 26 March 2013. Retrieved 7 May 2014.
- "Addition of Alpha Sat to the lists of eligible satellite services for distribution on a digital basis".
- Official site (Greek)