Alpha Upsilon Alpha
Alpha Upsilon Alpha (or ΑΥΑ) is an academic honor society recognizing excellence in reading and language arts at the undergraduate and graduate level. Founded in 1985, it is governed by the International Reading Association (IRA)
The mission of the society is to "recognize and encourage scholarship, the development of personal and professional leadership, and service to the field of reading" among its chapter
There are five different categories of membership in Alpha Upsilon Alpha: Undergraduate, graduate, faculty, professional, and honorary. To be an undergraduate member, an applicant must have finished 5 semesters or 76 credit hours of undergraduate work and be in the top 25% of their class. This would typically put all undergraduate applicants at the third-year level; however, students at two-year community colleges, such as West Virginia University - Parkersburg, are able to join. Applicants must also be recommended by a professor in the field of reading or language arts after completing at least one course in that area. To be a graduate member, applicants must major in reading or language arts, be recommended by faculty, finish at least 9 credit hours, and carry a 3.5 GPA or higher after completing at least half of their graduate coursework. To be a faculty member, applicants need to be significantly active (or have been) in reading or language arts as an academic subject and either have 1) a doctoral degree or 2) met the graduate-level membership GPA requirement during their Master's work. Professional members, such as elementary and secondary school teachers must be voted upon by the chapter they are seeking to join and also meet the requirements for the highest of the above categories that would apply to them. Honorary members can be selected by the individual chapters upon voting. All applicants, regardless of level, must be members of the IRA.
Like many honor societies, it selected its named based on significance attached to particulars letters of the Greek alphabet. The first Α stands for Anagnosis, meaning "reading"; the Υ stands for Upotrophia, meaning "scholarship"; and the second Α stands for Archon, meaning "leadership."
- Adelphi University - Beta Theta Chapter
- Arizona State University - Beta Beta Chapter
- Boston College - Omicron Chapter
- Buffalo State College - Alpha Iota Chapter
- Canisius College - Beta Nu Chapter
- Central Connecticut State University - Beta Kappa Chapter
- Chicago State University - Rho Chapter
- Dowling College - Alpha Beta Chapter
- Fayetteville State University - Alpha Sigma Chapter
- Florida Memorial University - Beta Rho Chapter
- Fordham University - Beta Iota Chapter
- Framingham State University - Alpha Pi Chapter
- Georgia State University - Alpha Gamma Chapter
- Governors State University - Alpha Omega Chapter
- Hofstra University - Alpha Delta Alpha Chapter
- Holy Family University - Beta Epsilon Chapter
- Lock Haven University - Beta Lambda Chapter
- Loyola University Chicago - Pi Chapter
- Minnesota State University Moorhead - Alpha Tau Chapter
- Monmouth University - Beta Pi Chapter
- Murray State University - Eta Chapter
- New Jersey City University - Delta Chapter
- North Greenville University - Beta Delta Chapter
- Northeastern Illinois University - Beta Omicron Chapter
- Northern Illinois University - Alpha Delta Chapter
- Philippine Normal University - Alpha Upsilon Chapter
- Providence College - Alpha Xi Chapter
- Purdue University - Alpha Kappa Chapter
- Purdue University Calumet - Beta Gamma Chapter
- Queens College - Beta Sigma Chapter
- Roosevelt University - Tau Chapter
- St. Joseph's University - Alpha Zeta Chapter
- Saint Xavier University - Zeta Chapter
- Southern Utah University - Beta Alpha Chapter
- Troy University at Dothan - Alpha Lambda Chapter
- University of Georgia - Xi Chapter
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign - Beta Eta Chapter
- University of Nebraska at Omaha - Alpha Eta Chapter
- University of Northern Iowa - Alpha Chapter
- University of South Carolina Upstate - Beta Xi Chapter
- University of Wisconsin-Whitewater - Alpha Theta Chapter
- Weber State University - Beta Zeta Chapter
- West Chester University - Epsilon Chapter
- West Virginia University at Parkersburg - Alpha Chi Chapter
- Widener University - Alpha Psi Chapter
- Winona State University-Rochester - Alpha Mu Chapter
- Worcester State College - Beta Mu Chapter
- "Framingham State University - Education - Alpha Upsilon Alpha Honor Society". Framingham.edu. Retrieved 2014-08-19.
- "Alpha Upsilon Alpha Honor Society". Reading.org. 2014-03-18. Retrieved 2014-08-19.
- "Welcome to the International Reading Association". Reading.org. 2014-03-18. Retrieved 2014-08-19.
- "Alpha Upsilon Alpha - TWU Department of Reading - Texas Woman's University". Twu.edu. 2014-01-05. Retrieved 2014-08-19.
- "GSE Honor Societies". Fordham.edu. Retrieved 2014-08-19.
- "TUA Home". Nationalhumanservices.org. Retrieved 2014-08-19.
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (January 2007) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|