Alpharetta High School
|Alpharetta High School|
|Principal||Shannon N. Kersey (August 2011-)|
|Color(s)||Maroon, silver, and black|
|Slogan||"To be nationally competitive in academics, the arts, athletics, and service to the community."|
|Average SAT scores (2015)||1,689 |
Alpharetta High School is a public high school located in Alpharetta, Georgia, United States. It is part of the Fulton County School System. Atlanta Magazine named Alpharetta High School one of the metro Atlanta area's best all-around high schools.
Alpharetta High is part of a cluster of schools that interact closely and educate students from kindergarten through 12th grade.
- Creek View Elementary School
- Lake Windward Elementary
- Manning Oaks Elementary School
- New Prospect Elementary School
- Webb Bridge Middle School
- Hopewell Middle School
Most of the campus at Alpharetta High School is occupied by a main building that contains three floors and three hallways (identified as the 2000, 3000, and 4000 hallways). The bottom (first) floor contains the cafeteria, media center, and access to the buses and portables outside. The second and third floor are mostly classes, and the second floor has access to the auditorium, gym, and orchestra room. Other parts of the school outside the main building include the band building, the soccer field, football fields, tennis court, trail, and softball field.
Alpharetta High School is dedicated to a strong academic policy which is defined with the phrase RICH Raider, which stands for respect, integrity, citizenship, and hard work. A student exhibiting these policies by being engaged and helpful to the class may receive a RICH Raider ticket, in which a randomly selected students can receive prizes on Friday by depositing the tickets. Furthermore, classes may also be chosen as a RICH Raider Class and receive prizes.
Competitive sports at Alpharetta High School are football, basketball, baseball, lacrosse, soccer, wrestling, tennis, track and field, cross country, volleyball, swimming, diving, cheerleading, and golf. Although not officially recognized by the Georgia High School Association, additional athletic activities include rugby, fencing, cricket, and ping pong.
The band is directed by Mike Walsh and Ira Jenkins and contains three concert bands. The program also contains a marching band and smaller ensembles, including a jazz band and a percussion ensemble.
The Alpharetta High School Orchestra is currently directed by Dr. Charles Laux and is also split into three ensembles, which are Philharmonia, Sinfonia, and Symphony. They also perform in a numerous amount of competitions and concerts. The program used to be directed by Mr. Sheldon Fisher, who retired in 2016.
The Alpharetta High School Chorus is directed by Michelle Levesque. The chorus performs in several concerts and is divided in smaller ensembles and clubs.
Alpharetta High School has many extracurricular activities and has about 95 clubs. Most of these clubs occur either before or after school. Many of these clubs occur during Anchor Time, which is a 45-minute period that takes place every Tuesday and Thursday in both first and second semesters. Some of the notable clubs include Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA), Raider Ambassadors, National Honors Society, Science Olympiad, and Beta.
In the 2018-2019 school year, Alpharetta High School has officially been chosen to become an International Baccalaureate (IB) school. Although the school already offers Advanced Placement (AP) courses and Dual Enrollment, IB courses will be completely new and is different from AP courses because they span for a period of two years and have extracurricular requirements. Not many courses will be offered when the program first starts at the school, but more courses will be offered as the program matures.
Alpharetta has won awards in a variety of fields.
- The school was the recipient of the 2007-2008 Governors Cup for the AAAAA school with the highest increase in SAT scores. Governors Office of Student Achievement
- Alpharetta High School was nationally ranked in Newsweek's "Best High Schools 2012," coming in at 268.
- The 2008 girls' cross country team were Region 6-AAAAA Champions and placed 6th in the state.
- The 2007 girls' track and field team was Region 6-AAAAA Champions and placed seventh in the state.
- The 2009 competition cheerleaders were Region 6-AAAAA Champions and placed seventh in the state.
- The 2009-10 boys' ice hockey team won the state championship (AA).
- The 2010 boys' tennis team won the school's first state championship (AAAAA).
- The 2010 competition cheerleaders won the state championship. (AAAAA)
- The 2011-12 boys' ice hockey team won the state championship (AA).
- The 2012 boys' tennis team won the state championship (AAAAA).
On March 27, 2010, the Alpharetta High School Chess Team won the State Championships by defeating Creekview 5-0, Dunwoody 5-0, Greater Atlanta Christian School 5-0, Pace Academy 5-0, and Northview 5-0. This makes them the first chess team in Georgia history to win a state championship with a perfect 25-0.
- The Academic Team won the 2007–2008 Annual High Q competition, which is hosted by Chuck Dowdle and airs on WSB-TV. They were originally alternates for the competition.
- In the 2013-2014 season, the varsity quizbowl team won the ATTACK III and GATA Winter Tournaments. The Junior varsity team won the GATA State tournament. Both the varsity and junior varsity teams won the MLK Day History Bowl Regional. The team was ranked 84th in the national quizbowl rankings at the end of the season.
- In the 2014-2015 season, the varsity quizbowl team finished third at the 25th Annual Walton Academic Challenge and won both the History Bowl and Bee Regional at Athens.
Speech and Debate Team
- The school's Varsity Speech and Debate Team placed second in the State Championship in Spring 2009. (2008-2009 Records)
- The school's Varsity Speech and Debate Team placed fifth at the All-State competition in 2009. (2008-2009 Records)
The school's symphony orchestra, composed of nearly 90 select band and orchestra students, was chosen to perform at Chicago's 2012 Midwest Clinic. Of thousands of schools that auditioned all over the world, Alpharetta was one of only a few that were chosen.
- Ariana Savalas ('04) Performer 
- Joshua Dobbs ('13), football player, University of Tennessee (2013-2016) and Pittsburgh Steelers 2017-present
- Legarda ('08), Colombian hip-hop recording artist
- Michael Bennett ('09), football player, University of Georgia and Cincinnati Bengals 2015
- "Alpharetta High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved December 10, 2017.
- "Fulton County Schools SAT Two Year Comparison" (PDF). Fulton County Schools. Retrieved 2016-06-25.
- "Atlanta Magazine - January 2011 - School Guide". Archived from the original on January 10, 2011. Retrieved January 28, 2011.
- "Raiders Revealed: Rich Raider Celebration". Raiders Revealed. 2017-10-31. Retrieved 2017-11-12.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-04-17. Retrieved 2010-04-08.
- "Alpharetta High School Raider Band - Home". www.alpharettaband.org. Retrieved 2017-11-12.
- "The Director". Alpharetta High School Orchestra. 2016-05-10. Retrieved 2017-11-12.
- "About". Alpharetta High School Orchestra. 2016-05-10. Retrieved 2017-11-12.
- "Alpharetta High School Chorus". Alpharetta High School Chorus. Retrieved 2017-11-21.
- "AHS Clubs and Organizations". school.fultonschools.org. Retrieved 2017-11-12.
- "International Baccalaureate Candidacy". school.fultonschools.org. Retrieved 2017-11-17.
- "Region 6-AAAAA Meet- Girls Varsity - MileSplit GA". 2012-07-23. Archived from the original on 2012-07-23. Retrieved 2017-11-21.
- "GHSA Cross Country Championships - Girls AAAAA (Raw)". 2016-04-02. Archived from the original on 2016-04-02. Retrieved 2017-11-21.
- "Girls Region 6-AAAAA- Team Scores - MileSplit GA". 2012-07-30. Archived from the original on 2012-07-30. Retrieved 2017-11-21.
- "GHSA Girls State Championship - Coverage". MileSplit GA. Retrieved 2017-11-21.
- "Georgia Student Hockey League powered by GOALLINE.ca". 2016-03-03. Archived from the original on 2016-03-03. Retrieved 2017-11-21.
- "State tennis championships | www.ajc.com". 2012-10-11. Archived from the original on 2012-10-11. Retrieved 2017-11-21.
- "Georgia Student Hockey League powered by GOALLINE.ca". 2016-03-04. Archived from the original on 2016-03-04. Retrieved 2017-11-21.
- "Kavita Chhibber". www.kavitachhibber.com. Retrieved 2017-11-21.
- "Tournament Results - AHS Quizbowl". sites.google.com. Retrieved 2017-11-21.
- "Tournament Results - AHS Quizbowl". sites.google.com. Retrieved 2017-11-21.
- "The Midwest Clinic - 2012 Performers and Concert Programs". Midwest Clinic. Retrieved 2017-11-21.
- "Hometown Alpharetta girl back from Hollywood for play".
- "Michael Bennetts".