Alphonsus Obi Igbeke
|Alphonsus Obi Igbeke|
|Senator for Anambra North|
25 May 2010 – May 2011
|Preceded by||Joy Emordi|
|Succeeded by||John Okechukwuemeka|
Nsugbe, Anambra State, Nigeria
Alphonsus Obi Igbeke (born 1962) was sworn in as Senator for the Anambra North constituency of Anambra State, Nigeria on 25 May 2010 after the election of Joy Emordi of the People's Democratic Party (PDP) had been annulled. He is a members of the All Nigeria Peoples Party (ANPP).
Igbeke, popularly known as Ubanese, was born in 1962 in Nsugbe to the north of Onitsha in Anambra State. He studied in Nigeria and the USA, earning a PhD in Engineering Sciences. Returning to Nigeria he went into the contracting business, and became a successful businessman with properties in Onitsha and Lagos.
Igbeke was a contender to be a PDP candidate for a seat in the House of Representatives in the 2003 elections, but failed to be nominated. He transferred to the Alliance for Democracy (AD) and ran for election on that platform, but lost to the PDP candidate. Igbeke allegedly used his political connections to arrange for the election tribunal panel to agree that his name had been illegally removed from the PDP primaries and he was declared elected.
In the April 2007 election for the Senate seat of Anambra North, Igbeke ran on the ANPP platform. The PDP candidate Joy Emordi was declared the winner, a decision which he appealed. Igbeke's eventual assumption of office in the Senate followed a decision by an Enugu appeal court that declared him the winner of the 2007 senatorial election. The Senate had resisted swearing him in on the grounds that an appeal was in progress, but eventually accepted the court's decision. The Conference of Nigeria Political Parties (CNPP) had strongly criticized the Senate leaders over the delay.
- "Sen. Alphosus Ubanese Igbeke". National Assembly of Nigeria. Archived from the original on 2016-03-03. Retrieved 2010-06-15.
- Isioma Madike (27 May 2010). "Triumph of Igbeke". Daily Independent. Archived from the original on 30 May 2010. Retrieved 2010-06-15.
- "Court Of Appeal Kicks Senator Emordi Out Of Office, Chief Alhonsus Obi Igbeke To Take Over". Ukpaka Reports. March 25, 2010. Retrieved 2010-06-15.
- John Ameh (2007-10-13). "INEC loses bid to defend senator's victory". The Punch. Archived from the original on 2011-10-02. Retrieved 2010-06-15.
- Emmanuel Ogala (May 20, 2010). "Senate to swear in Igbeke on Tuesday". Next. Retrieved 2010-06-15.
- "Senate refuses to admit Igbeke again". Nigeria Daily News. 18 May 2010. Retrieved 2010-06-15.
- Lilian Agih (15 May 2010). "CNPP Slams Senate Over Disobedience Of Court Order". Leadership. Retrieved 2010-06-15.
|This article about a Nigerian politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|