Alpine is an unincorporated community in Columbia Township, Fayette County, Indiana.
The first sawmill in Columbia Township was built at Alpine in 1814. Alpine was laid out as a town in about 1832.
By 1885, Alpine contained a sawmill, a gristmill, and a station on the Whitewater Valley Railroad.
A post office opened in Alpine in 1868, and remained in operation until it was discontinued in 1966.
Alpine is located on State Route 121 about 6 miles (9.7 km) south of Connersville.
- ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ "Alpine, Indiana". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 2009-10-10.
- ^ Barrows, Frederic Irving (1917). History of Fayette County, Indiana: Her People, Industries and Institutions. Bowen, B. F. p. 220.
- ^ Baker, Ronald L. (October 1995). From Needmore to Prosperity: Hoosier Place Names in Folklore and History. Indiana University Press. p. 49. ISBN 978-0-253-32866-3.
...this village was founded about 1832...
- ^ History of Fayette County, Indiana. Warner, Beers and Company. 1885. p. 199.
- ^ "Fayette County". Jim Forte Postal History. Retrieved 4 September 2014.