Alpine Data Labs
|Founded||San Mateo, California 2011|
|Founders||Anderson Wong & Yi-Ling Chen|
|Dan Udoutch, President & CEO Steven Hillion, Chief Product Officer|
|Services||Advanced Analytics on Hadoop and Big Data|
Number of employees
|45 (As of October 2013)|
Alpine Data Labs is an advanced analytics interface working with Apache Hadoop and big data. It provides a collaborative, visual environment to create and deploy analytics workflow and predictive models. This aims to make analytics more suitable for business analyst level staff, like sales and other departments using the data, rather than requiring a "data engineer" or "data scientist" who understands languages like MapReduce or Pig.
Ex-Greenplum employees Anderson Wong and Yi-Ling Chen developed an app that could work with databases, which was used by the Data Science team at EMC as well as early customers in Financial Services and Digital Media. Alpine Data Labs was co-founded by Wong and Chen in 2010. That year, Alpine raised 7.5 million in Series A round funding from EMC Greenplum, Sierra Ventures, Mission Ventures, and Sumitomo Corp. Equity Asia. The funding was used in part to set up Alpine’s headquarters in San Mateo, California. Alpine also appointed its Chief Product Officer, Steven Hillion, who had led the Data Science team at Greenplum. Alpine's core product then, Alpine Miner, allowed for non-data scientists to create predictive analytics data models without using code and used an "In-Database" model. In June 2011, Alpine Miner 2.0 for Oracle Database was released.
Tom Ryan was appointed CEO and president of Alpine Data Labs in January 2012 and served until April 2013. The following month, Joe Otto was appointed to serve as CEO and president. In November 2013, Alpine Data Labs raised $16 million in Series B venture funding. Investors included Sierra Ventures, Mission Ventures, UMC Capital, and Robert Bosch Venture Capital GmbH. That same month, it also released Alpine 3.0, which introduced a drag and drop interface and access to data from any device that with internet capabilities, including tablets and phones. This makes it possible for analysts to access data on Hadoop, and other databases and data warehouses, without IT having to move the data into another interface. Alpine also moved its headquarters from San Mateo to San Francisco in November 2013, by which point the company had significantly expanded the functional breadth of its platform with enterprise collaboration and governance features. In February 2014, Alpine Data Labs was added to the Gartner Magic Quadrant as a "Niche Player" and later as a "Visionary".
In March 2014, Alpine Data Labs was certified by Databricks on Apache Spark. Later that year, the company released an integration with the popular R programming language, as well as support for all major Hadoop distributions and all major relational databases.
In 2015, Alpine added an extensibility layer to its analytics engine, allowing users to add new operators to the visual editor for running custom algorithms developed in Java or Scala. The company also developed a new interface ("Touchpoints") for business users to interact with machine learning models. Later developments including integration with Python Notebooks, support for model operationalization, and auto-tuning of Spark-based algorithms. Alpine's customers include Havas, CDC, and NASA.
Alpine was acquired by TIBCO in November 2017.
- "Sand Hill 50 "Swift and Strong" in Big Data". Sand Hill. January 8, 2014. Retrieved March 8, 2014.
- Robin Bloor (January 6, 2014). "10 Companies and Technologies to Watch in 2014". Inside Analysis. Archived from the original on March 17, 2014. Retrieved March 8, 2014.
- Ted Cuzzillo (December 4, 2013). "Alpine Data and Goliath". Data Doodle. Retrieved March 8, 2014.
- Eric Blattberg (2013-10-30). "Big data, little companies: These six startups want to disrupt the data world". Venture Beat. Retrieved March 8, 2014.
- Noreen Seebacher (October 2, 2013). "Big-Data Draws Attention at Interop New York". All Analytics. Retrieved March 8, 2014.
- Scott Koegler (December 3, 2013). "Making Big Data Work For Your Business". Forbes. Retrieved March 8, 2014.
- Bob Gourley (2013-10-17). "The breakthrough technologies every analyst should know about". Analyst One. Archived from the original on 2014-03-08. Retrieved March 8, 2014.
- Valentina Craft (2013-10-29). "2014, the year of Big Data applications". Silicon Angle. Retrieved March 8, 2014.
- Christina Farr (2013-11-22). "Alpine Data Labs gets $16M to ensure companies 'won't fail' with big data analytics". Venture Beat. Retrieved March 8, 2014.
- Derrick Harris (2013-11-22). "Alpine Data Labs raises $16 million for its visual approach to data science". Gigaom. Retrieved March 8, 2014.
- Gil Press (2013-09-24). "What's A CMO To Do? Alpine Data Labs' Otto And Aziza On The Digital Marketing Landscape". Forbes. Retrieved March 8, 2014.
- "EMC Taps Alpine As SAS Alternative For Analytics - InformationWeek". InformationWeek. Retrieved 2017-11-14.
- Derrick Harris (July 20, 2011). "Greenplum protégé brings predictive muscle to Exadata". Gigaom. Retrieved March 8, 2014.
- EMC. "Alpine Data Labs | Partners | Partners | Data Science Series". datascienceseries.com. Retrieved 2017-11-14.
- Alex Woodie (2013-10-29). "Alpine Demos Big Data Analytics from an iPad". Datanami. Retrieved March 8, 2014.
- Robin Wauters (May 11, 2011). "Alpine Data Labs Scores $7.5 Million To Help Companies Analyze Troves Of Data". TechCrunch. Retrieved March 8, 2014.
- Patrick Hoge (May 11, 2011). "Alpine Labs gets $7.5M to mine Big Data". San Francisco Business Times. Retrieved March 8, 2014.
- "Alpine Data Labs Raises $7.5 Million in Series A Funding and Formally Launches in the U.S." Database Trends and Applications. May 13, 2011. Retrieved March 8, 2014.
- "www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/potmsearch/detail/submission/459871/Steven_Hillion". www.bizjournals.com. Retrieved 2017-11-14.
- Jeffrey Kelly (May 23, 2011). "Alpine Data Labs Offers Visualization Tools to Create In-Database Analytics Models". Silicon Angle. Retrieved March 8, 2014.
- Robert Gelber (February 16, 2012). "Alpine Data Climbs Analytics Mountain". Datanami. Retrieved March 8, 2014.
- "Alpine Data Labs Names Joe Otto CEO". Reuters PE HUB. May 3, 2013. Retrieved March 8, 2014.
- Alex Konrad (2013-11-22). "This Startup Just Raised $16M To Help Barclays, Nike And Havas Play With Big Data". Forbes. Retrieved March 8, 2014.
- Brandon Butler (November 11, 2013). "Products of the week 11.11.13". Network World. Retrieved March 8, 2014.
- Mike Vizard (November 7, 2013). "Alpine Data Analytics App Works Directly Against Hadoop". IT Business Edge. Retrieved March 8, 2014.
- "Alpine Data Labs - Butler Analytics". Butler Analytics. 2013-08-26. Retrieved 2017-11-14.
- Gregory Piatetsky (2014-02-24). "SAS, IBM, RapidMiner, Knime leaders in Gartner MQ for Advanced Analytics Platforms". KDnuggets. Retrieved March 8, 2014.
- "Magic Quadrant for Advanced Analytics Platforms". Gartner. 2014-02-19. Retrieved March 8, 2014.
- "Gartner Again Recognizes Alpine Data as a Visionary in 2016 Magic Quadrant for Advanced Analytics Platforms". Alpine Data. Retrieved 2017-11-14.
- Daniel Gutierrez (2014-03-18). "Databricks Certifies Alpine Data Labs on Spark". Inside Big Data. Retrieved 2014-03-30.
- "Alpine's Chorus analytics framework sings with more languages". IT World Canada. Retrieved 2017-11-14.
- "Alpine Data Delivers the Custom Operator Framework, Enabling "Build Once, Run Everywhere" Analytic Assets for the Enterprise". Alpine Data. Retrieved 2017-11-14.
- "Alpine Data Launches Touchpoints - The Power of Predictive Analytics for the Business User - insideBIGDATA". insideBIGDATA. 2015-09-29. Retrieved 2017-11-14.
- "Alpine Delivers the Next Generation of its Chorus Advanced Analytics Platform to Connect Machine Learning to Business Behavior - insideBIGDATA". insideBIGDATA. 2016-05-27. Retrieved 2017-11-14.
- "From PMML to PFA: A Way Forward for Deploying Predictive Analytics - insideBIGDATA". insideBIGDATA. 2017-02-03. Retrieved 2017-11-14.
- Anadiotis, George. "Spark gets automation: Analyzing code and tuning clusters in production | ZDNet". ZDNet. Retrieved 2017-11-14.
- "How a Top Ad Firm Stopped Fearing Big Data and Learned to Love Analytics". Datanami. 2014-08-18. Retrieved 2017-11-15.
- "Tracking the Opioid-Fueled HIV Outbreak with Big Data". Datanami. 2016-12-15. Retrieved 2017-11-15.
- Kedar, Kapil. "How data science and rocket science will get humans to Mars". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2017-11-15.
- "TIBCO Acquires Alpine Data to Add Collaborative Project Management for Advanced Analytics | TIBCO Software". www.tibco.com. Retrieved 2017-11-15.