Alpine Public School District
|Alpine Public School|
|500 Hillside Avenue
Alpine, NJ 07620
|Superintendent||Dr. Richard Brockel|
|Business administrator||Daniel Hauser|
|Students and staff|
|Enrollment||231 (as of 2014-15)|
|District Factor Group||I|
The district is classified by the New Jersey Department of Education as being in District Factor Group "I", the second-highest of eight groupings. District Factor Groups organize districts statewide to allow comparison by common socioeconomic characteristics of the local districts. From lowest socioeconomic status to highest, the categories are A, B, CD, DE, FG, GH, I and J.
For ninth through twelfth grades, public school students attend Tenafly High School in Tenafly as part of a sending/receiving relationship with the Tenafly Public Schools under which the Alpine district paid tuition of $14,392 per student for the 2011-12 school year. As of the 2014-15 school year, the high school had an enrollment of 1,158 students and 102.2 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 11.3:1.
A $5 million construction project completed in 2016 updated the school building originally constructed in 1910, renovating about 4,700 square feet (440 m2) and adding a 10,800-square-foot (1,000 m2) wing that includes a performing arts center. The entire cost of the project was paid for by contributions from residents.
As of the 2014-15 school year, the Alpine School had an enrollment of 155 students.
- Maureen McCann, Principal
Its school colors are green and white and its mascot is the Ram.
Core members of the school's administration are:
- Dr. Richard Brockel, Interim Superintendent
- Daniel Hauser, Business Administrator / Board Secretary.
- District information for Alpine Elementary School District, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 7, 2016.
- Taxpayers' Guide to Education Spending April 2013, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed April 15, 2013.
- NJ Department of Education District Factor Groups (DFG) for School Districts, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed December 6, 2014.
- Alpine School District 2016 Report Card Narrative, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed August 5, 2017. "The District's students in Grades 9 through 12 can attend Tenafly High School which is the partner school in a sending-receiving relationship. Enrollment is free for students with the cost of their tuition paid by the Alpine School District."
- Alvarado, Monsy. "Alpine to keep sending students to Tenafly", The Record (Bergen County), April 4, 2003. Accessed August 23, 2014. "ALPINE - The borough's high school students will continue to attend Tenafly High School under a new contract approved by the Board of Education this week."
- Gemignani, Joseph. "Tenafly student registration recount lacks parent cooperation", The Record (Bergen County), June 20, 2011. Accessed August 23, 2014. "Students from Alpine, which has no high school, may attend Tenafly High under a so-called sending agreement that reimburses Tenafly. When the 2011-12 school budget was adopted, the cost per pupil was put at $14,392, though Trager said that figure has since been increased because Trenton has recalculated the formula to add items like special education."
- Cheslow, Jerry. "If You're Thinking of Living In/ Alpine, N.J.; Lavish Homes in a Millionaire's Borough", The New York Times, December 14, 1997. Accessed August 23, 2014. "THE students go on to Tenafly High School, in neighboring Tenafly, which sent 91 percent of last year's 230 graduates to higher education."
- School data for Tenafly High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- Yellin, Deena. "Alpine uses local donations to fund school renovation", The Record (Bergen County), December 28, 2016. Accessed February 5, 2017. "The Alpine School District, which serves 160 students in grades K to 8 in a single school, recently completed a year and a half, nearly $5 million renovation project, which includes a new state-of-the-art performing arts center, a soundproof music room, an upgraded library, three new small group instruction rooms, an expanded media center, new main offices, an interior instructional courtyard and a kitchen."
- Data for the Alpine Elementary School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 7, 2016.
- Principal, Alpine Public School District. Accessed February 5, 2017.
- New Jersey School Directory for Bergen County, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed December 29, 2016.
- Superintendent, Alpine Public School District. Accessed February 5, 2017.
- School Business Administrator, Alpine Public School District. Accessed February 5, 2017.
- Alpine Elementary School
- Alpine Elementary School's 2015–16 School Performance Report from the New Jersey Department of Education
- School Data for the Alpine Elementary School, National Center for Education Statistics
- Tenafly High School