New South Wales
|Alpine Way, near Thredbo|
|Length||121 km (75 mi)|
|General||Carrying snow chains may be required at certain times of the year.|
The Alpine Way is a 121-kilometre (75 mi) rural road located in the Snowy Mountains region of New South Wales, Australia. The road connects Jindabyne in the east to the New South Wales/Victorian border in the west, crossing the Murray River, near Upper Towong. The route does not carry an official shield designation.
The eastern terminus of the Alpine Way is 3 kilometres (1.9 mi) west of Jindabyne on the eastern side of the Snowy Mountains. The road winds its way south adjacent to the Thredbo River, before heading south-west past Thredbo and then crossing the crest of the Great Dividing Range at Dead Horse Gap at an altitude of 1,580 metres (5,180 ft). Thereafter, it continues around the western side of the range along the upper reaches of the Murray River, past the Geehi River to Khancoban, before eventually crossing the Murray, and reaching its western terminus and connecting with the Murray Valley Highway (B400) on the river's southern bank, within Victoria.
The highway was initially built in the 1950s as part of the access for the Snowy Mountains Scheme. However, the paving of it was only completed approximately forty years later in the 1990s.
Road restrictions in the region require all two-wheel drive vehicles carry snow chains between Thredbo and Tom Groggin from the long weekends marking the Queen's Official Birthday in June and the Labour Day in October. It is also quite possible that snow chains may be needed to drive safely along other (more dangerous) parts of Alpine Way.
- 6532 Kosciuszko Road, Jindabyne NSW 2627, Australia to Murray Valley Highway, Towong Upper VIC 3707, Australia (Map). Google Maps. 2016. Retrieved 18 November 2016.
- "Kosciuszko Alpine Way". Destination NSW. Government of New South Wales. 2016. Retrieved 18 November 2016.
- "Kosciuszko – Alpine Way drive". NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service. Government of New South Wales. 2016. Retrieved 18 November 2016.
- "Schedule of Classified Roads and Unclassified Regional Roads" (PDF). Roads & Maritime Services. Government of New South Wales. January 2014. p. 27. Retrieved 18 November 2016.
- "Annual Report 2004" (PDF). Roads & Traffic Authority. Government of New South Wales. 2004. p. 95. Retrieved 18 November 2016.
- "Driving in the snow". NSW Environment and Heritage. Government of New South Wales. 9 July 2011.
- "Kosciuszko – Alpine Way drive: Getting there and parking". NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service. Government of New South Wales. 2016. Retrieved 18 November 2016.
Route map: Google
|This Australian road or road transport-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|