|Studio album by The Derek Trucks Band|
|Released||January 13, 2009|
|Genre||Southern rock, blues rock, soul rock, jam rock|
|Label||Legacy Recordings, Columbia Records|
Doyle Bramhall II
|The Derek Trucks Band chronology|
Already Free is the ninth studio album by The Derek Trucks Band. It was released in the US on January 13, 2009 by Legacy Recordings. A European release followed on February 20, 2009. The album has received very positive reviews, and debuted at #19 on the Billboard Top 200 reached #1 on the blues chart, #1 on the Internet chart, and #4 on the Rock chart. This marks the band's highest debut on the Billboard Top 200 chart to date. The album won the 2010 Grammy Award for Best Contemporary Blues Album, marking the band's first Grammy award.
The first single, "Down in the Flood", was released on November 4, 2008. Guest musicians include Doyle Bramhall II, Oteil Burbridge, Susan Tedeschi, and Eric Krasno (of Soulive). The song "Back Where I Started" was co-written by Trucks with fellow Allman Brothers Band guitarist Warren Haynes.
Trucks' thoughts on the album
Derek Trucks was interviewed by the Washington Post upon the release of Already Free. The interviewer commented that in comparison to past albums by The Derek Trucks Band, this record reflects a more mature sound. Trucks himself responded by commenting that the album has a different feeling because in the past he always felt pressure to make a "guitar album". The difference, he maintains, is that the band has had more time to mature, and the album's sound is more balanced between the different contributions of its members, who developed its overall effect as they arranged the songs that were recorded for this album.
- "Down in the Flood" (Dylan) – 5:02
- "Something to Make You Happy" (Pena) – 5:01
- "Maybe This Time" (feat. Doyle Bramhall II) (Trucks/Bramhall) – 5:03
- "Sweet Inspiration" (Oldham/Penn) – 4:38
- "Don't Miss Me" (Trucks/Mattison) – 4:16
- "Get What You Deserve" (Trucks/Mattison/Bramhall) – 3:33
- "Our Love" (feat. Doyle Bramhall II) (Bramhall/Trucks) – 5:18
- "Down Don't Bother Me" (Mattison/Trucks) – 5:07
- "Days Is Almost Gone" (Burbridge/Trucks/Mattison) – 5:13
- "Back Where I Started" (feat. Susan Tedeschi) (Trucks/Haynes) – 4:20
- "I Know" (Smith/Taylor) – 4:40
- "Already Free" (Trucks/Mattison) – 2:46
Best Buy has an exclusive edition with three bonus tracks:
- "Ballad of the Chicken Robber" (Trucks/Mattison) - 1:55
- "Swamp Raga" (Trucks) - 6:31
- "Long Time Man" (trad.) - 5:24
iTunes includes a bonus track with the purchase of the album:
- Thom Jurek (2009-01-13). "Already Free - The Derek Trucks Band | Songs, Reviews, Credits". AllMusic. Retrieved 2016-07-27.
- "The Derek Trucks Band: Already Free". PopMatters.com. Retrieved 2016-07-27.
- Collis, Clark (2009-01-07). "Already Free". EW.com. Retrieved 2016-07-27.
- "Album Reviews". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2016-07-27.
- "Derek Trucks Band - Already Free". Stereo Subversion. 2009-02-03. Retrieved 2016-07-27.
- Suarez, Ernest (May 29, 2009). "'Already Free,' Trucks Rolls On The Guitar Hero Pays Homage to the Past". The Washington Post. Retrieved 2009-10-03.
- [dead link]