Alsace Township, Berks County, Pennsylvania
|Alsace Township, Pennsylvania|
A field in the township
|Elevation||840 ft (256.0 m)|
|Area||12.2 sq mi (31.6 km2)|
|- land||12.2 sq mi (32 km2)|
|- water||0.0 sq mi (0 km2), 0%|
|Density||302.3/sq mi (116.7/km2)|
|- summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 12.2 square miles (32 km2), all of it land.
- Muhlenberg Township (west)
- Ruscombmanor Township (north)
- Oley Township (east)
- Exeter Township (southeast)
- Lower Alsace Township (south)
|Source: US Census Bureau|
As of the census of 2000, there were 3,689 people, 1,433 households, and 1,060 families residing in the township. The population density was 302.3 people per square mile (116.7/km²). There were 1,503 housing units at an average density of 123.2/sq mi (47.6/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 98.43% White, 0.43% African American, 0.14% Native American, 0.52% Asian, 0.08% Pacific Islander, 0.27% from other races, and 0.14% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.98% of the population.
There were 1,433 households, out of which 27.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 63.2% were married couples living together, 5.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 26.0% were non-families. 20.1% of all households were made up of individuals, and 8.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.57 and the average family size was 2.96.
In the township the population was spread out, with 21.8% under the age of 18, 5.9% from 18 to 24, 27.8% from 25 to 44, 28.3% from 45 to 64, and 16.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females there were 101.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 100.8 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $46,500, and the median income for a family was $52,621. Males had a median income of $39,866 versus $25,808 for females. The per capita income for the township was $21,385. About 2.5% of families and 4.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 4.8% of those under age 18 and 3.8% of those age 65 or over.
- Author/novelist Gary Ludwig lived in Alsace Township until he was 11 years old (1944–55). His novel Mexico Road is loosely based on characters, locations and situations taking place along the Mexico Road (a dirt road at the time) that is located in the township.
- Conrad Feger Jackson, born in Alsace in 1813, was killed at the Battle of Fredericksburg in 1862 while serving as a brigadier general in the Union Army.