View of the Braband canal.
|• Total||3.1 km2 (1.2 sq mi)|
|• Density||4,200/km2 (11,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
Alsterdorf is a quarter in the Hamburg-Nord borough of the Hamburg, Germany. The name has its origin after the river Alster which become later the dams Außenalster and Binnenalster in the center of Hamburg. In 2006 the population was 12,955.
Around 1803 the settlement became Hamburg's property.
In 2006 according to the statistical office of Hamburg and Schleswig-Holstein, the quarter Alsterdorf has a total area of 3.1 square kilometres (1 sq mi). The river Alster floating from Northeast to Southwest is the border to the Groß Borstel quarter in the West. In the South Alsterdorf borders to Winterhude quarter. In the East is the Ohlsdorf quarter.
Parts of the large Ohlsdorf Cemetery (Ohlsdorfer Friedhof (German)) belongs to the quarter Alsterdorf.
2006 there were 12,955 people living in Alsterdorf. The population density was 4,232/km2 (10,961/sq mi). 14.2% were children under the age of 18, and 20.2% were 65 years of age or older. 11.6% were resident aliens. 467 people were registered as unemployed.
In 1999 there were 6,508 households out of which 15.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them and 54.4% of all households were made up of individuals. The average household size was 1.77.
Population by year 
In 2006 there were 1,283 criminal offences (99 crimes per 1,000 people).
There were 1 elementary school and 2 secondary schools in the quarter Alsterdorf and 30 physicians in private practice and 5 pharmacies.
Alsterdorf is serviced by the rapid transit system of the underground railway . According to the Department of Motor Vehicles (Kraftfahrt-Bundesamt), in the quarter were 4,847 private cars registered (377 cars/1000 people).
- Residents registration office, source: statistical office Nord of Hamburg and Schleswig-Holstein (2006)
- Source: statistical office Nord of Hamburg and Schleswig-Holstein (1999)
- State Investigation Bureaux (Landeskriminalamt), source: statistical office Nord of Hamburg and Schleswig-Holstein (2006)
- Source: statistical office Nord of Hamburg and Schleswig-Holstein (2006)
- Statistical office Hamburg and Schleswig-Holstein Statistisches Amt für Hamburg und Schleswig-Holstein, official website (German)
Media related to Alsterdorf at Wikimedia Commons