|Traded as||TSX: ALA|
|Founded||April 1, 1994|
|Headquarters||Calgary, Alberta, Canada|
|Products||Electricity generation, natural gas|
|Revenue||C$ 4.26 Billion (2018)|
|C$ -454 Million (2018)|
|Total assets||C$ 23.49 Billion (2018)|
|Total equity||C$ 7.64 Billion (2018)|
Number of employees
AltaGas began operations in Calgary in 1994 in the natural gas business, with the goal of building a western Canadian midstream business. The company later began its utility segment in 1998 in Alberta, and entered the power business in 2001.
AltaGas operates regulated utilities that store and deliver natural gas to end‑users across North America. The utility businesses serve approximately 1.8 million customers.
- Washington Gas in the Washington metropolitan area
- SEMCO Energy Gas Company in Michigan
- ENSTAR Natural Gas Company in Alaska
The Midstream segment serves customers primarily in the Western Canadian Sedimentary Basin and transacts more than 2 billion cubic feet (57 million cubic metres) per day of natural gas. The division serves many purposes including natural gas gathering and processing, natural gas liquids extraction and separation, transmission pipelines delivery for both gas and liquids, storage and marketing.
AltaGas generates and sells electricity through both natural gas power plants and renewable sources, with a total capacity of 1,708 megawatts. The company also owns 20MW of battery storage in Pomona, California.
- "AltaGas Announces Fourth Quarter and Full-Year 2018 Results and Reaffirms 2019 Outlook and Balanced Funding Plan | AltaGas". www.altagas.ca. Retrieved 2019-03-05.
- "AltaGas to buy WGL Holdings for $4.5-billion in major U.S. push". Retrieved 2018-04-27.