|Predecessor||Burr, Egan, Deleage & Co.|
|Founder||Dr. Jean Deleage, Ph.D., Garrett Gruener, Marino Polestra, Guy Nora|
|Headquarters||One Embarcadero Center
San Francisco, California, United States
Alta Partners is a venture capital firm based in San Francisco, CA. The company was founded in 1996 by Dr. Jean Deleage, Ph.D., who was also a founder of the venture capital firms Burr, Egan, Deleage & Co. (BEDCO) and Sofinnova, together with Garrett Gruener, a former general partner at BEDCO.
The company was founded in 1996 and invests in biotechnology and life science companies. According to the company website, over the past ten years, Alta has invested in over 150 companies, including some of the leaders in the biopharmaceuticals, medical technology, and information technology sector.
Since 1996, Alta has raised eight venture capital funds including four funds in its Alta California Funds series, three funds in its Alta Biopharma Partners series and most recently in 2006, Alta raised Alta Partners VIII with $500 million of investor commitments.
The following is a summary of the venture capital funds raised by Alta as of 2008:
- 1996 - $130m - Alta California Partners (Early Stage)
- 1998 - $180m - Alta Biopharma Partners I (Late Stage)
- 1998 - $186m - Alta California Partners II (Early Stage)
- 2000 - $212m - Alta Biopharma Partners II
- 2000 - $229m - Alta California Partners III (Early Stage)
- 2003 - $300m - Alta BioPharma Partners III
- 2004 - $184m - Alta California Partners IV (Early Stage)
- 2006 - $500m - Alta Partners VIII
- Company profile at BioSpace
- December 17, 2007: Alta Partners invest $25 million investment in Anesiva, (Nasdaq:ANSV)
- A Generation Gap in Venture Capital
- Gupta, Udayan. Done Deals: Venture Capitalists Tell Their Stories, 2000
- Venture-Capital Firms Prepare for Next Generation of Partners
- Jean Deleage (Forbes Profile)
- Alta Partners (company website)