Alta Vista Public School
|Alta Vista Public School|
1349 Randall Avenue
|Motto||Striving For Excellence|
|School board||Ottawa-Carleton District School Board|
|Area trustee||Bronwyn Funiciello (ZONE 6)|
|Enrollment||650 students (September, 2009)|
|Language||English, Early French Immersion, Late French Immersion|
650 students from diverse cultures are enrolled at this triple-track school. The school offers a regular English Program (JK-8), an Early French Immersion Program (SK-8), and a Late French Immersion Program (Grade 7 & 8). Alta Vista also offers Special Education, English Language Support and a Junior (grades 4-6) System Learning Disability Class. Students are encouraged to become involved in a variety of clubs and sports outside of the regular program, and in the Student Ambassadors, a leadership program.
Alta Vista has two gymnasiums: the Mr. J. Gym, dedicated to a former teacher at Alta Vista, and the Martin Pelton Gym, dedicated to one of the former principals. The school also has a fully equipped science room.
The school is one of four schools in the OCDSB that offers a music strings program; the others are Vincent Massey Public School, Lisgar Collegiate Institute, and Canterbury High School. Alta Vista also offers a specialized drumming music program.
Student David Campion Smith campaigned a cause to raise funds for Free The Children to help children in developing countries and, in 2006, raised $4400, enough to purchase 88 goats. Campion-Smith's efforts saw him compared to child activist Craig Kielburger and awarded the KidsWorld 2006 Community Spirit, Student of the Year Award. In 2007, the school was challenged to build a school through Free The Children and an anonymous donor would match up to $7000 of funds raised. The school successfully raised $7700 and a school is planned for Kono District of Sierra Leone.
- Cummings, H.R. and W.T. MacSkimming. The City of Ottawa Public Schools: A Brief History. Ottawa: Ottawa Board of Education, 1971.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2005-12-15. Retrieved 2005-12-15.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2006-02-14. Retrieved 2007-03-11.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "David's Dream". Alta Vista Public School. Archived from the original on September 11, 2007. Retrieved 2008-06-14.
- Czekaj, Laura (2006-06-01). "Student finds a practical way to help: Fund-raiser helps buy goats for families in impoverished nations". Ottawa Sun. Archived from the original on November 22, 2008. Retrieved 2008-06-14.
- "David's Dream – Changing "Me" to "We"". Ottawa Start. 2006-05-13. Archived from the original on 2006-10-22. Retrieved 2008-06-14.
- "2006 Student of the Year Winner". KidsWorld-Online.COM. Archived from the original on 2006-10-31. Retrieved 2008-06-14.
|This article relating to Ottawa and to Canada's National Capital Region is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Ontario school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|