|Born||Srinagar, Indian-administered Kashmir|
Altaf Qadri is a Kashmiri-Indian photojournalist with Associated Press. He has received several awards for is photographic work. The New York Times described his work as having a "sophisticated eye and highly effective technique."
Life and work
Qadri was born in Srinagar, the summer capital of Indian-administered Kashmir. He gave his first freelance assignment in 2001, after that he joined as a staff photographer for a local newspaper. In 2008 he began working at Associated Press.
- Second prize in the International News Pictures Story Category in the 'Best of Photojournalism 2005" by National Press Photographers Association (NPPA).
- His picture of Kashmir village children playing cricket gave him the First prize in Sports Action and Feature category in the ‘India Press Photo 2006 by The Indian Express Ramnath Goenka Foundation.
- First Prize in "One Weeks Work" category by Pictures of the Year International (POYi) 2007.
- 2007: Special Jury Prize (with seven others), Days Japan International Photojournalism Awards, for a picture story about the conflict in Kashmir, Kashmir: Paradise in Pain.
- Nominated for the 11th International Festival of Photojournalism, Spain.
- Winner of the All Roads Photography Program by the National Geographic Society for 2007.
- Awarded The Paola Biocca International Reportage Award 2008 by International Journalism Festival, Italy.
- Best Published Picture Story category in 2008, by the National Press Photographers Association.
- Winner of First place in General News Story category in India Press Photo Contest 2008 by The Indian Express Ramnath Goenka Foundation
- Third place in the feature photography by National Headliner Awards, 2010.
- Award of Excellence in General News category by the Pictures of Year (POYi), 2011.
- Finalist in the World Understanding Award category by Pictures of Year (POYi), 2011.
- Second place in General News category by Media Federation of India, 2011.
- First place in People in the News category, 2011 World Press Photo competition, 2012
- Third place in General News category, 2012 Atlanta Photojournalism Seminar Contest
- First place in Portrait/Personality category, 2014 Atlanta Photojournalism Seminar Contest
- "Update: Missing AP Photographer Altaf Qadri Found Safe In Libya". Huffington Post.com-Huff Post Media. 4 October 2011. Retrieved 22 November 2014.
- "Pictures of the Day: Wednesday, Oct. 21". The New York Times. 21 October 2009. Retrieved 22 November 2014.
- "Featured photojournalist: Altaf Qadri". The Guardian.com. 6 January 2012. Retrieved 22 November 2014.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20060527030531/http://bop.nppa.org/2005/still_photography/winners/INS/26645/49953.html. Archived from the original on May 27, 2006. Retrieved April 3, 2007. Missing or empty
- [dead link]
- "First Place - One Week's Work". Poyi.org. Retrieved 22 November 2014.
- "Winner's List". Days Japan. Retrieved 10 June 2015.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20070711171910/http://www.fotoperiodismogijon.com/espanol/04_premio.htm. Archived from the original on July 11, 2007. Retrieved July 16, 2007. Missing or empty
- "2007 All Roads Photography Program Award Winner : Altaf Qadri (Kashmir) : Kashmir: Paradise in Pain" (PDF). Events.nationalgeographic.com. Retrieved 22 November 2014.
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- "DAILY NEWSPAPERS & NEWS SYNDICATES - Writing & Reporting". Headlinerawards.org. Retrieved 22 November 2014.
- "Award of Excellence - General News". Poyi.org. Retrieved 22 November 2014.
- "Finalist - World Understanding Award". Poyi.org. Retrieved 22 November 2014.
- "MFI". Mfi.org.in. Retrieved 22 November 2014.
- "Kashmir Intifada: People in the News, first prize singles". World Press Photo. Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- "2012 Winners". Atlanta Photojournalism Seminar. Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- "2014 Winners". Atlanta Photojournalism Seminar. Retrieved 22 November 2014.
- How I survived Libya
- Atlaf Qadri's recent work
- Atlaf Qadri's website
- Profile at Lightstalkers
- The New York Times Lens Blog
- Kashmiri photojournalist bags 3 awards, The Hindu, Saturday, May 28, 2005
- Indian Press Photo Results announced, The Indian Express.
- Men behind lenses in strife zone, Khaleej Times.
- Altaf Qadri on the Deadly Standoff in Kashmir, Warshooter.