|Traded as||NASDAQ: ALTR (Class A)|
Russell 2000 Component
|Industry||CAE Software, Product Design and Development Services, and Grid Computing|
|Founders||James R. Scapa|
|Headquarters||Troy, Michigan, United States|
|James R. Scapa, Chairman and CEO|
Howard Morof, CFO
Brett Chouinard, President/COO
|Products||See complete products listing.|
|Revenue||US$333.33 million (2017)|
|Total assets||US$287.87 million (2017)|
Number of employees
Altair Engineering Inc. is an American multinational information technology company headquartered in Troy, Michigan. They provide product design and engineering solutions, enterprise services and cloud computing. Altair was founded by James R Scapa, George Christ, and Mark Kistner in 1985. As of 2017, the company has more than 2000 employees in 71 offices across 24 countries.
Altair Engineering is the creator of the HyperWorks suite of CAE software products.
Altair is divided into three business divisions: Product Design (PD), HyperWorks CAE Software (HW), and PBS Works (PBS)
The principal product offerings from Altair's Commercial Software division is its HyperWorks line of software, including:
- OptiStruct - Structural Analysis Solver (linear and non-linear); solution for structural design and optimization
- RADIOSS - Structural Analysis Solver (highly non-linear problems under dynamic loadings); an industry standard for automotive crash and impact analysis
- MotionView - Solver-neutral Multi-body Pre-processor
- MotionSolve - Multi-body Solver; an integrated solution to analyze and optimize multi-body system performance
- HyperXtrude - Metal & Polymer Extrusion Solver; an advanced solver for manufacturing process simulations and validations
- HyperForm - Metal Forming Solver
- HyperMesh, HyperCrash, Simlab, HyperView, HyperGraph - CAE Pre & Post Processing
- HyperStudy - Design of Experiments and Multi-disciplinary Design Optimization
- HyperMath - Mathematical Analysis Environment
- AcuSolve - General-purpose Finite Element Based CFD Solver
- FEKO - 3D Electromagnetic Solver
The CAE data and process management solutions
- Altair Data Manager
- Altair Process Manager
The Enterprise Computing division develops and manages:
- PBS Professional software, developed from OpenPBS.
Subsidiaries of Altair Engineering
Altair Owned Companies
- solidThinking - industrial design software
- HiQube - business intelligence software
- Altair ProductDesign - product innovation consulting
- Carriots - Development platform for Internet of Things based applications
Altair was established in 1985. In 1990, HyperMesh was released. In 1994, Altair receives IndustryWeek's "Technology of the Year" award for OptiStruct.
During the 2008 economy crisis, Altair started a program to offer free training on its product for unemployed persons in Michigan.
In September 2010, Altair purchased a 136,000-square-foot (12,600 m2) Annex Facility in Troy, to initially house Altair’s subsidiary ilumisys, Inc.
- In July 2008, Altair acquired the Italian company that produces the "solidThinking" software.
- On October 28, 2010, Altair announced their impending acquisition of SimLab Corporation.
- In early 2011, Altair acquired ACUSIM Software, with their CFD Solver, AcuSolve.
- In June 2014, Altair acquired EM Software & Systems – S.A. (Pty) Ltd. and its international distributor offices in the United States, Germany, and China, with their electromagnetic simulation software, FEKO.
- In July 2014 Altair acquired Visual Solutions, Inc. in order to enter the embedded market which was previously dominated by the MathWorks.
- In April 2015 Altair acquired Multiscale Design Systems, LLC for Microstructural Optimization
- In September 2016, Altair acquired Solid Iris Technologies, creator of "Thea Render".
- In May 2017, Altair acquired MODELiiS, an Electronic Design Automation company with modeling, conversion and simulation tools at the circuit/netlist level of abstraction, for integrated circuits and PCB/packaging, with bridges to system and multiphysics tools.
- In September 2017, Altair acquired RunTime Design Automation, a company publishing software tools to manage EDA resources such as job scheduling, licence allocation, consistency and progress monitoring.
- "Altair Announces Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2017 Financial Results". Altair.
- "Altair Announces Third Quarter 2018 Financial Results". Altair. Retrieved 31 January 2019.
- Chorofas Visual Programming Technology 1997 p196 "The University of Illinois in 1990 developed Hyperview for Intel's iPSC/2 hypercube"
- "ilumisys Inc". Bloomberg Businessweek. Retrieved 2 December 2012.
- Tom Henderson (11 November 2009). "Ilumisys vies to be No. 1 LED maker". Crain's Detroit Business. Retrieved 2 December 2012.
- John Teresko (19 December 1994). "Altair Computing Inc. Troy, Mich". IndustryWeek. Archived from the original on 13 March 2012. Retrieved 2 December 2012.
- Sherri Begin Welch (4 December 2008). "Altair offering free training, software licenses for unemployed engineers". Crain's Detroit Business. Retrieved 5 December 2008.
- Keith Barry (9 November 2011). "New Hybrids Will Pump it Up". Wired. Retrieved 2 December 2012.
- Josh Cable (8 September 2011). "Series-Hybrid Hydraulic Transit Bus Promises Fuel, Cost Savings". Industry Week. Archived from the original on 3 December 2013. Retrieved 2 December 2012.
- Josh Cable (16 November 2011). "Big Green Machines". Industry Week. Retrieved 2 December 2012.
- Frausto-Robledo, Anthony (24 July 2008). "Altair acquires solidThinking". architosh.com. Retrieved 26 January 2017.
- "Altair will acquire SimLab". prnewswire.com. 28 October 2010. Retrieved 26 January 2017.
- "Altair Engineering Acquires ACUSIM Software, 2 in a Series". Deskeng.com. Archived from the original on 23 September 2015. Retrieved 27 September 2016.
- "Altair and EM Software & Systems Complete Deal". Deskeng.com. Retrieved 27 September 2016.
- "Altair and EM Software & Systems-S.A. Close Deal —". Feko.info. 24 June 2014. Retrieved 27 September 2016.
- "EM Software & Systems". Emss.co.za. Retrieved 27 September 2016.
- "Altair To Acquire Visual Solutions, Inc". Altair. 14 July 2014. Retrieved 18 May 2017.
- "Altair acquires Solid Iris Technologies". hpcwire.com. 14 September 2016. Retrieved 26 January 2017.
- Official website
- "HyperWorks: Open Architecture CAE solution". Altairhyperworks.com. 22 September 2016. Retrieved 27 September 2016.
- "Global Leader in HPC Workload Management". PBS Works. 19 October 2015. Retrieved 27 September 2016.
- "Altair ProductDesign". Altair ProductDesign. Retrieved 27 September 2016.
- "Altair". Hyperworksalliance.com. Retrieved 27 September 2016.
- "Design Software Solutions". solidThinking. 24 June 2013. Retrieved 27 September 2016.
- "IIS Windows Server". Ilumisys.com. Retrieved 27 September 2016.
- "HyperWorks - лидер в области CAE-систем". Hyperworks.compmechlab.ru. Retrieved 27 September 2016.
- "FEKO - EM Simulation Software". Feko.info. Retrieved 27 September 2016.