|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (September 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Industry||CAE Software, Product Design and Development Services, and Grid Computing|
|Founded||Troy, Michigan, United States (1985)|
|Headquarters||Troy, Michigan, United States|
|James R. Scapa, Founder, Chairman and CEO
Jim Brancheau, CTO
Brett Chouinard, COO
|Products||See complete products listing.|
Number of employees
Altair Engineering is an American product design and development, engineering software and cloud computing software company. Altair was founded by James R Scapa, George Christ, and Mark Kistner in 1985. Over its history, it has had various locations near Detroit, Michigan, USA. It is currently headquartered in Troy, Michigan with regional offices throughout America, Europe and Asia.
Altair Engineering is the creator of the HyperWorks suite of CAE software products.
Altair is divided into three business divisions: Product Design (PD), HyperWorks CAE Software (HW), and PBS Works (PBS)
The principal product offerings from Altair's Commercial Software division is its HyperWorks line of software, including:
- OptiStruct - Structural Analysis Solver (linear and non-linear); solution for structural design and optimization
- RADIOSS - Structural Analysis Solver (highly non-linear problems under dynamic loadings); an industry standard for automotive crash and impact analysis
- MotionView - Solver-neutral Multi-body Pre-processor
- MotionSolve - Multi-body Solver; an integrated solution to analyze and optimize multi-body system performance
- HyperXtrude - Metal & Polymer Extrusion Solver; an advanced solver for manufacturing process simulations and validations
- HyperForm - Metal Forming Solver
- HyperMesh, HyperCrash, Simlab, HyperView, HyperGraph - CAE Pre & Post Processing
- HyperStudy - Design of Experiments and Multi-disciplinary Design Optimization
- HyperMath - Mathematical Analysis Environment
- AcuSolve - General-purpose Finite Element Based CFD Solver
- FEKO - 3D Electromagnetic Solver
The CAE data and process management solutions
- Altair Data Manager
- Altair Process Manager
The Enterprise Computing division develops and manages:
- PBS Professional software, developed from OpenPBS.
Subsidiaries of Altair Engineering
Altair Owned Companies
- solidThinking - industrial design software
- HiQube - business intelligence software
- Altair ProductDesign - product innovation consulting
Altair was established in 1985. In 1990, HyperMesh was released. In 1994, Altair receives IndustryWeek's "Technology of the Year" award for OptiStruct.
During the 2008 economy crisis, Altair started a program to offer free training on its product for unemployed persons in Michigan.
In September 2010, Altair purchased a 136,000-square-foot (12,600 m2) Annex Facility in Troy, to initially house Altair’s subsidiary ilumisys, Inc.
- In July 2008, Altair acquired the Italian company that produces the "solidThinking" software.
- On October 28, 2010, Altair announced their impending acquisition of SimLab Corporation. 
- In early 2011, Altair acquired ACUSIM Software, with their CFD Solver, AcuSolve.
- In June 2014, Altair acquired EM Software & Systems – S.A. (Pty) Ltd and its international distributor offices in the United States, Germany, and China, with their electromagnetic simulation software, FEKO.
- In July 2014 Altair acquired Visual Solutions, Inc in order to enter the embedded market which was previously dominated by the MathWorks.
- In September 2016, Altair acquired Solid Iris Technologies, creator of "Thea Render".
Free and open-source software
- Advanced Simulation Library
- Code Saturne (GPL)
- Coolfluid (LGPLv3)
- Gerris Flow Solver
- Palabos Flow Solver
- SU2 code (LGPL)
- COMSOL Multiphysics
- ADINA CFD
- ANSYS CFX
- ANSYS Fluent
- AVL FIRE
- Azore 
- CFD++ 
- KIVA (software)
- Cradle  SC/Tetra 
- Cradle scSTREAM 
- Cradle Heat Designer 
- [www.altair.com www.altair.com] Check
|url=value (help). Missing or empty
- Chorofas Visual Programming Technology 1997 p196 "The University of Illinois in 1990 developed Hyperview for Intel's iPSC/2 hypercube"
- "ilumisys Inc.". Bloomberg Businessweek. Retrieved 2012-12-02.
- Tom Henderson (2009-11-11). "Ilumisys vies to be No. 1 LED maker". Crain's Detroit Business. Retrieved 2012-12-02.
- John Teresko (1994-12-19). "Altair Computing Inc. Troy, Mich.". IndustryWeek. Retrieved 2012-12-02.
- Sherri Begin Welch (2008-12-04). "Altair offering free training, software licenses for unemployed engineers". Crain's Detroit Business. Retrieved 2008-12-05.
- Keith Barry (2011-11-09). "New Hybrids Will Pump it Up". Wired. Retrieved 2012-12-02.
- Josh Cable (2011-09-08). "Series-Hybrid Hydraulic Transit Bus Promises Fuel, Cost Savings". Industry Week. Retrieved 2012-12-02.
- Josh Cable (2011-11-16). "Big Green Machines". Industry Week. Retrieved 2012-12-02.
- Frausto-Robledo, Anthony (July 24, 2008). "Altair acquires solidThinking". architosh.com. Retrieved January 26, 2017.
- "Altair will acquire SimLab". prnewswire.com. October 28, 2010. Retrieved January 26, 2017.
- "Altair Engineering Acquires ACUSIM Software, 2 in a Series". Deskeng.com. Retrieved 2016-09-27.
- "Altair and EM Software & Systems Complete Deal". Deskeng.com. Retrieved 2016-09-27.
- "Altair and EM Software & Systems-S.A. Close Deal —". Feko.info. 2014-06-24. Retrieved 2016-09-27.
- "EM Software & Systems". Emss.co.za. Retrieved 2016-09-27.
- http://www.altair.com/newsdetail.aspx?news_id=11030. Missing or empty
- "Altair acquires Solid Iris Technologies". hpcwire.com. September 14, 2016. Retrieved January 26, 2017.
- "Advanced Simulation Library". ASL.org.il. Retrieved 2016-09-27.
- "Clawpack". Depts.washington.edu. 2013-01-21. Retrieved 2016-09-27.
- andrealani. "Home · andrealani/COOLFluiD Wiki · GitHub". Github.com. Retrieved 2016-09-27.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 8 June 2012. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- "FEATool Multiphysics - Matlab FEM Finite Element Physics Simulation Toolbox". Featool.com. Retrieved 2016-09-27.
- "覚えておこうＦＸの基礎". Freecfd.com. Retrieved 2016-09-27.
- "Gerris Flow Solver". Gfs.sf.net. Retrieved 2016-09-27.
- "OpenFOAM® - The Open Source Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) Toolbox". Openfoam.com. Retrieved 2016-09-27.
- "OpenFVM download". SourceForge.net. Retrieved 2016-09-27.
- "Home". Palabos.org. Retrieved 2016-09-27.
- Aerospace Design Laboratory, Aeronautics and Astronautics Department, Stanford University. "SU2, the open-source CFD code". Su2.stanford.edu. doi:10.1016/j.compfluid.2016.02.003. Retrieved 2016-09-27.
- "Welcome to Azore Technologies, LLC | Azore Technologies, LLC". Azoretechnologies.com. Retrieved 2016-09-27.
- "Metacomp Technologies, Inc". Metacomptech.com. Retrieved 2016-09-27.
- "CFD| Software Cradle Co., Ltd". Cradle-cfd.com (in (Japanese)). Retrieved 2016-09-27.
- "SC/Tetra| Products| Software Cradle Co., Ltd". Cradle-cfd.com (in (Japanese)). 1994-12-01. Retrieved 2016-09-27.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 6 March 2015. Retrieved 2015-03-21.
- "HeatDesigner| Products| Software Cradle Co., Ltd". Cradle-cfd.com (in (Japanese)). 1994-12-01. Retrieved 2016-09-27.
- Official website
- "HyperWorks: Open Architecture CAE solution". Altairhyperworks.com. 2016-09-22. Retrieved 2016-09-27.
- "Global Leader in HPC Workload Management". PBS Works. 2015-10-19. Retrieved 2016-09-27.
- "Altair ProductDesign". Altair ProductDesign. Retrieved 2016-09-27.
- "Altair". Hyperworksalliance.com. Retrieved 2016-09-27.
- "Design Software Solutions". solidThinking. 2013-06-24. Retrieved 2016-09-27.
- "IIS Windows Server". Ilumisys.com. Retrieved 2016-09-27.
- "HyperWorks - лидер в области CAE-систем". Hyperworks.compmechlab.ru. Retrieved 2016-09-27.
- "FEKO - EM Simulation Software". Feko.info. Retrieved 2016-09-27.