|Traded as||NASDAQ: ALTR (Class A)|
Russell 2000 Component
|Industry||CAE Software, Product Design and Development Services, Data Analytics, IoT and Grid Computing|
|Founders||James R. Scapa|
|Headquarters||Troy, Michigan, United States|
|James R. Scapa, Chairman and CEO|
Howard Morof, CFO
Brett Chouinard, President/COO
|Products||See complete products listing.|
|Revenue||US$458.9 million (2018)|
|Total assets||US$716.7 million (2019)"Altair Announces Total Assets". Altair.</ref>|
Number of employees
Altair Engineering Inc. is an American multinational information technology company headquartered in Troy, Michigan. They provide product design and engineering, enterprise services, data analytics, IoT and cloud computing. Altair was founded by James R Scapa, George Christ, and Mark Kistner in 1985. Altair Engineering is the creator of the HyperWorks suite of CAE software products.
Altair is divided into several business divisions, a few are Product Design (PD), HyperWorks CAE Software (HW), SmartWorks (SW), Knowledge Works (KW) and PBS Works (PBS)
Altair was established in 1985. In 1990, HyperMesh was released. In 1994, Altair receives IndustryWeek's "Technology of the Year" award for OptiStruct.
During the 2008 economy crisis, Altair started a program to offer free training on its product for unemployed persons in Michigan.
In September 2010, Altair purchased a 136,000-square-foot (12,600 m2) Annex Facility in Troy, to initially house Altair's subsidiary ilumisys, Inc.
- In July 2008, Altair acquired the Italian company that produces the "solidThinking" software.
- On 28 October 2010, Altair announced their impending acquisition of SimLab Corporation.
- In early 2011, Altair acquired ACUSIM Software, with their CFD Solver, AcuSolve.
- In June 2014, Altair acquired EM Software & Systems – S.A. (Pty) Ltd. and its international distributor offices in the United States, Germany, and China, with their electromagnetic simulation software, FEKO.
- In July 2014 Altair acquired Visual Solutions, Inc. in order to enter the embedded market which was previously dominated by the MathWorks.
- In April 2015 Altair acquired Multiscale Design Systems, LLC for Microstructural Optimization
- In September 2016, Altair acquired Solid Iris Technologies, creator of "Thea Render".
- In May 2017, Altair acquired MODELiiS, an Electronic Design Automation company with modeling, conversion and simulation tools at the circuit/netlist level of abstraction, for integrated circuits and PCB/packaging, with bridges to system and multiphysics tools.
- In September 2017, Altair acquired RunTime Design Automation, a company publishing software tools to manage EDA resources such as job scheduling, licence allocation, consistency and progress monitoring.
- "Altair Announces Full Year 2018 Financial Results". Altair.
- "Altair nmber of employees, offices and locations". Altair.
- John Teresko (19 December 1994). "Altair Computing Inc. Troy, Mich". IndustryWeek. Archived from the original on 13 March 2012. Retrieved 2 December 2012.
- Sherri Begin Welch (4 December 2008). "Altair offering free training, software licenses for unemployed engineers". Crain's Detroit Business. Retrieved 5 December 2008.
- "Altair Expands Troy, Mich. Operations with Purchase of 136,000-Square-Foot Annex Facility". PR Newswire. 20 September 2010. Retrieved 2 July 2020.
- Keith Barry (9 November 2011). "New Hybrids Will Pump it Up". Wired. Retrieved 2 December 2012.
- Josh Cable (8 September 2011). "Series-Hybrid Hydraulic Transit Bus Promises Fuel, Cost Savings". Industry Week. Archived from the original on 3 December 2013. Retrieved 2 December 2012.
- Josh Cable (16 November 2011). "Big Green Machines". Industry Week. Archived from the original on 3 December 2013. Retrieved 2 December 2012.
- Frausto-Robledo, Anthony (24 July 2008). "Altair acquires solidThinking". architosh.com. Retrieved 26 January 2017.
- "Altair will acquire SimLab". prnewswire.com. 28 October 2010. Retrieved 26 January 2017.
- "Altair Engineering Acquires ACUSIM Software, 2 in a Series". Deskeng.com. Archived from the original on 23 September 2015. Retrieved 27 September 2016.
- "Altair and EM Software & Systems Complete Deal". Deskeng.com. Archived from the original on 18 April 2015. Retrieved 27 September 2016.
- "Altair and EM Software & Systems-S.A. Close Deal –". Feko.info. 24 June 2014. Retrieved 27 September 2016.
- "EM Software & Systems". Emss.co.za. Retrieved 27 September 2016.
- "Altair To Acquire Visual Solutions, Inc". Altair. 14 July 2014. Retrieved 18 May 2017.
- "Altair acquires Solid Iris Technologies". hpcwire.com. 14 September 2016. Retrieved 26 January 2017.