Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Look up alteration in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
In music, alteration is the use of a neighboring pitch in the chromatic scale in place of its diatonic neighbor.
Alteration may also refer to:
- in the mensural notation used by renaissance music, alteration is the lengthening of a breve, semibreve or minim in particular rhythmic contexts
- in law, alteration is an offence of modifying an object with a view to deceiving another into believing that the true object is the same as that altered, for instance, money alteration is an offence of altering money "with the intent that it be brought into circulation as genuine or that such bringing into circulation be facilitated"
- in tailoring, changing an existing garment
- in geology, mineral alteration the changing of minerals and rock fabrics chemically by heat and fluid circulation
- in medicine, according to the ICD-10-PCS, in the Medical and Surgical Section (0), root operation 0, alteration, means modifying the natural anatomic structure of a body part without affecting the function of the body part. The principal purpose is to improve appearance. Examples would be a face lift, or breast augmentation.
- The Alteration, 1976 alternate history novel by Kingsley Amis
- Alteration (album), by Altera Enigma