The AL has existed since 1990 as a loose coalition of left-wing activists. At the beginning of 2007, the AL Zurich was transformed into a political union. Beside Zürich, the AL is active in the cantons of Schaffhausen and Aargau.
The AL works closely with the Swiss Labour Party, solidaritéS and other leftist parties and organisations. They're participating in the new Swiss party Alternative Left, but no group of the Alternative List is constituted as a section of the party yet.
- 5 seats in the Cantonal Council of Zürich
- 5 seats in the city council of Zurich
- 1 seat in the city council of Winterthur
- 1 seat in the city council of Dietikon
- 5 seats in the Cantonal Council of Schaffhausen
- 3 seats in the city council of Schaffhausen
- 1 seat in the city government of Schaffhausen
- Homepage of Alternative Liste Zurich (German)
- Homepage of Alternative Liste Schaffhausen (German)
- Homepage of Alternative Liste Winterthur (German)