Alternative news agency
An alternative news agency (or alternative news service) operates in a similar fashion to a commercial news agency, but defines itself as an alternative to commercial or "mainstream" operations. They span the political spectrum, but most frequently are progressive or radical left. Sometimes they combine the services of a news agency and a news syndicate. Among the primary clients are alternative weekly newspapers.
- The International Human Press
- All Headline News
- Choike.org (North/South issues)
- College Press Service (in its commercial incarnation)
- Compass Direct
- Inter Press Service (North/South issues)
- Mathaba News Agency
- Pacific Free Press
- Pacific News Service
- Syndicated News
- The Reggae News Agency
- Atlantic Free Press
- Liberation News Service Splintered off from College Press Service.
- New Liberation News Service
- Underground Press Service renamed Alternative Press Syndicate|Alternative Press Service
- College Press Service (student-run - in Washington, D.C. project of the United States Student Press Association)
- College Press Service (transformed into independent collective - in Denver)
- Alternative Press Features
- Community Press Features Founded c. 1971
- FPS Founded c. 1971 as a high school student news service with a sanitized name: "Free Public Schools."
- Dispatch News Service- the original outlet to purchase Seymour Hersh's story about the My Lai Massacre during the Vietnam War
- People’s Translation Service Founded c. 1972
- Zodiac News service Founded c. 1972
- Zoo World Newservice Founded c. 1972
- Earth News Service Founded c. 1972
- Newscript Dispatch Service Renamed from Earth News Service
- Tricontinental News Service Founded c. 1973
- New York News Service Founded c. 1973 by Rex Weiner and Deanne Stillman
- Appalachian News Service Founded c. 1974
- Her Say Founded c. 1977 by Marlene Edmunds of Zodiac News Service.
- Voices from the Underground (Vol. 2): A Directory of Resources and Sources on the Vietnam Era Underground Press. Has article about the Underground Press Syndicate and other period alternative news services.